Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #1  

chuck1975

NW Indiana, basically now a suburb of Chicago
Tractor
new holland 1920, ferguson to35, case 1948 dc, kubota (my brothers but left here as he has no where to keep it)
Cold tractor blows \"O\" ring on hydro filter

Has anyone ever had this problem? I was just at the dealership and when the mechanic started a new 45 to bring into the shop the hydro filter blew the "O" ring. He states it was cold and that it had been sitting outside for a long time. What I'm concerned about is 2 things. 1 how often does this happen as my tractor sits in a cold pole barn also? 2 how long should it be "warmed" up before moving it? Never had this type of problems with gears. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
chuck1975

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #2  
Re: Cold tractor blows \"O\" ring on hydro filter

This is not related to just HST. Depending on how the filter is plumbed it can happen to tractor hydraulics also.
Here is a thread on a Case IH DX model (same as NH) tractor. Click Here
It is not just NH or Case IH tractors. There have been reports on TBN of this happening to other manufactures tractors.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #3  

If the o-ring concerns you then you might just warm the tractor up a bit before putting it to work. It would also be better for the diesel engine. I try to start mine and let it come up to operating temp. before asking it to go anywhere.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #4  

New Holland has a "cold-weather" hydraulic filter that is supposed to cure this problem. It is, of course, more expensive than the ordinary filters.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #5  

My 1999 TC 29 blew the o ring this winter and it was sitting in a 40 degree garage. I think all owners should start emailing New Holland and telling them to fix this problem or sell the cold weather filter at the same cost as OEM filters which would be cheaper to them than fixing the problem correctly. My dealer ; who has great to me; tells me to contact CNH directly as I will get more done than he ever could. They see these o ring failures all the time but CNH has not corrected it in at least 6 or 7 years. I think that time frame is way to long. I intend to trade my TC 29 in this year; have asked CNH about the new TC 34; they tell me to contact the dealer for info which he tells me he has none. ( I gave him more info from this site than he knew!) I cannot believe that CNH does not read this site. They should. And as they read it they should sent two posters to this sight each a new tractor for all the info that has been given to posters . They are Jinman and Soundguy.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter

PineRidge, I do allow my tractor to warm up a bit before pushing the hydro. My comment was this mechanic moving a new 45da 20 feet and it blowing its' "o" ring. I was shocked. First he works on these tractors every day and it happened to him! Secondly he thought nothing of it, as if it was an everyday occurance. When I asked about it he stated he happens, so much for NH new and improved filters. Maybe they will help but I bet if one blows NH will say operator error, not we'll fix the problem. Loving the hydro but still in some of the learning curve status. Gears for 35 plus years.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #7  

I'm thinking this is really an isolated problem. Our TC40D is about 2-1/2 years in age now and we reside in Ohio where it gets cold. We use our tractor quite a bit in the winter and haven't blown an o-ring yet. We do warm the rig up a bit though before we expect it to work, especially in cold weather.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #8  

Interesting read about these hydraulic filters. Wonder what is happening to the internal filter medium on the filters that don't "blow" their seals. When I change mine at service time, I'm going to cut open the "old" filter and see just how good or poorly it is constructed. Has anyone else saved their "blown" filter, and done this to it. Would be interesting to see what quality these expensive, in my opinion, filters actually are. What about just a better seal to the filter, a fiber reinforced rubber seal? Is that what NH is having done? Or is the internal medium reinforced material?, synthetic? Are these Donaldson filters? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #9  

Mike; I do not think this is an isolated problem. Starting up unit and letting it warm up does not help the problem. I started mine to let it "warm up" and that is when it blew; just sitting there. That is why the mechanic in the above post probably started it and moved it; does not matter.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #10  

While mine is a 1925, it blew last Thursday after driving across the yard on the second scoop of mulch.

Just glad it did it in our yard and not the customers. 10 gallons of TDH comes out FAST at that pressure.

Probably need to invest in the more expensive filter next time. I just bought the direct replacement on the way home.