I've Got A Dry Bowl !!

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
I\'ve Got A Dry Bowl !!

Fired up the TC for some clean up chores after very little use this winter...ran fine....to a point. While climbing a slight grade, the motor slowed and coughed...starving for fuel. I shut down and checked the filter bowl. It was nearly dry. I did have fuel in the tank !!. I uscrewed the bowl and got very little fuel through the line. Filled the bowl and reassembled. Tractor started fine but I could see the bowl empty. I kept the tractor running completing my chores, but I only get 3/8" of fuel in the bowl.

Is the bowl feed by gravity or is a vacuum formed by the pump that draws fuel in ? The O-ring looked fine.

The fuel tank was pulled last fall and cleaned due to a similar problem that was thought to be related to contamination in the tank. Pulling the filler cap off the tank makes no difference.

Thoughts ??

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #2  
Re: I\'ve Got A Dry Bowl !!

You're probably already thinking the same thing, but I'm guessing it's a plugged line or pickup in the tank, especially based on your prior history. Try pulling the line at the bowl that comes from the tank. Yes it is gravity feed, so it should rush out if clear. If not, you probably need to reclean the tank, pickup and line. ...and then start to figure out why it got plugged in the first place. My tractor has over 600 hours and I've never even had to change the filter and many that get good clean fuel report similar results. Good Luck!

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #3  

Last time I had fuel problems on my NH tractor, i had to pull the fuel tap fromt he tank, and there was a finger shaped filter atop the fuel tap.. it was clogged with black gunk and impeded fuel flow to the point the tractor would only idle.

Soundguy

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #4  

We had the same problem as SoundGuy described. A fine screen filter was above the fuel bowl and totally plugged with crap. While I had the bowl out I thought it a good idea to flush the debris from the fuel tank itself.

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !!

PineRidge...was that screen at the tank inlet to the hose or in the cast housing that supports the bowl ??

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #6  

One thing you might try is reverse pressure on the fuel line. I'm not sure how easy this might be to do, but you might even be able to do it by removing the filter. If not, you'll have to remove the fuel line attachment to the filter bowl. Next, apply very low pressure (20 psi or less) to the line to try to blow backwards into the tank and dislodge whatever is clogging your line. This would probably be a temporary fix at best and would only tell you that your problem is trash from the tank. You might get lucky and find the filter/On-Off valve is clogged and the line from the tank is okay. If you can remove most of the fuel from the tank, it will reduce the chance of a large quantity spilled. You will spill some fuel no matter how hard you try not to. Of course, all the disclaimers about fuel spillage and fire hazards apply. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #7  

You may have already done this, but check and make sure that the fuel shut-off vavle (if your model has one) is completely open. Occassionally the valve will be partially turned closed, and you will get exactly the symptoms you have described.

If valve is open, would vote for clogged tank strainer, or plugged/kinked/pinched fuel line.

Hope this helps!

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #8  

On top of the fuel bowl was a threaded nipple that screwed into the bottom of the diesel tank. On the top of that nipple was the screen. I would be out mowing and all of a sudden the tractor would die in its tracks. If I let it sit for a few minutes it would restart and then go through the same process again. When I took the fuel line off the bowl I quickly determined by the small trickle that there was indeed a lack of diesel, so I started taking things apart further.

Pressure from an air hose might certainly be a temporary fix but once crud is in the tank there is only one long term fix, flush the tank, clean the screens and filter bowl.

I eventually eliminated the screen in the tank altogether since the filter in the bowl satisfied my needs.

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !!

Weather doesn't allow any work right now, but when it I can, I'll pull the tank and do a better cleaning. What's the prevailing wisdom for cleaning the tank. what do I use as a rinse agent....Am I asking for trouble by using a solvent cleaner like Simple Green and then letting it dry out completely ??

/ I've Got A Dry Bowl !! #10  

Pinridge is right on.. same setup on my NH7610s super fine finger sized screen atop the fuel tap. Mine was so dirty i replaced the? 24$ fuel tap and filter.. drained the tank first.. filtered the fuel.. and have had no problems since.

Soundguy