Power Steering reservoir leak

/ Power Steering reservoir leak #1  

jrinck

My yeard old TC29DA seems to be leaking fluid out of the power steering reservoir--somewhere on the bottom. There are two hoses connected to the bottom as well as a drain plug. I verified the tightness of the drain plug and hose clamps, but it's still leaking from somewhere near the bottom of the reservoir, and it only seems to leak when the tractor is operating.

It's still under warranty, but being that the hoses seem fine, it's most likely a problem with the reservoir. I could have them come out and fix it, paying for their travel time (total of about an hour for a round trip), or I could just buy a new reservoir and put it on myself. I'm guessing it'll cost the same either way. I really don't know what to do.

Anyway, has anyone else had a problem with a leaky power steering reservoir? If so, what ended up to be the problem?

Thanks!

/ Power Steering reservoir leak #2  
I'd call the dealer's service manager and explain the situation. He may tell you something to try or he may ask you to take the old reservoir off and bring it in. If it's bad, I suspect he'll get you a new one and you can put it on yourself and return the old one for his warranty exchange.

Andy

/ Power Steering reservoir leak #3  
The top of the power steering is actually the filter also, which is to be changed at scheduled maintainance ( read maintainance sheet attached to inside of hood). This filter is a throw away filter but is not cheap, it srews on like a normal auto filter. Yours may only be loose. try to tighten it more.

/ Power Steering reservoir leak
Thanks for the ideas. I cleaned off the bottom of the unit, and it appears that the fluid is coming from the upper area of the thick hose (the one that goes OUT from the filter/reservoir)--up near where screw clamp is. I can't tell, however, the exact source. It could be the hose or where it connects to the reservoir, or, as was mentioned, it could be the screw part of the reservoir in an area I can't see, and the path of least resistance is down that hose.

So yeah, it's no problem to take it off and bring it in to the dealer. In taking it off I may be able to spot the problem area, anyway.

Thanks!

/ Power Steering reservoir leak #5  
I had the exact same problem on my TC29 the other week. I tightened the heck out of the hose clamp and it stopped.

Roy

/ Power Steering reservoir leak #6  
I had that problem with my NH TC33D and I tightened the screw on the clamp and that stopped it from leaking. I love the tractor. I have pushed down small trees and some 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Pushed rocks and cleared land with it as well. And, I mow about ten acres of lawn with it.

/ Power Steering reservoir leak #7  
I had that problem with my NH TC33D and I tightened the screw on the clamp and that stopped it from leaking. I love the tractor. I have pushed down small trees and some 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Pushed rocks and cleared land with it as well. And, I mow about ten acres of lawn with it.