How to use a box scraper

/ How to use a box scraper #1  

GARBLUES

Tractor
TC30
What is the proper way to use a box scraper? I put it on my tractor and tried using it but all I got were rows on the ground. Did I not have it deep enough? Do I have to make a checkerboard pattern to remove earth? Any comments would help.

/ How to use a box scraper #2  
Sounds like your top link is too long. Shorten your top link, which will cause the cutting edge to dig in. Top link lenght is very critical to get the blade to cut correctly.

/ How to use a box scraper #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...rows on the ground. )</font>

Do you mean like scarifiers digging in? Pictures?

/ How to use a box scraper
Yes. All I got were 4 rows from the scarifers. What I was trying to do was even out a small area (8ft x 4ft) where my swing open shed doors hit the ground and get blocked from opening fully. I can't take pictures right now because I'm back home from where my property is but I'll be going back up on the weekend and I'll take some pictures

/ How to use a box scraper #5  
If your scarifiers are just digging in and making ruts, your soil condtion may be that there is a lot of clay or moisture. In either case, weight is your ally, and the length of the toplink to control your cutting edge is important as was previously mentioned. You may have to make several passes with the scarifiers to break up the soil enough to be able to shave the surface. There are so many variables it's hard to judge without seeing. Do you have a heavy grass coverage? That can also cause the box to be ineffective.

/ How to use a box scraper
Yes the grass is pretty thick. Is the box blade supposed to be angled? I had it level with the scarifers in the highest position.

/ How to use a box scraper #7  
One of the best things I have added was the "top and tilt" set-up. I did this because I use the box blade for maintaining the driveway and other various projects. The hydraulic top and side-link really help make the box blade easier to use.

I can get plenty of tilt to either side, here's a pic.

Attachments

• 872539-000_0293 (Medium).jpg
    872539-000_0293 (Medium).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 773
   / How to use a box scraper #8  
Shortening the top-link allows more agressive cutting or when the rippers are down it allows them to cut deeper.

Attachments

• 872542-000_0294 (Medium).jpg
    872542-000_0294 (Medium).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 677
   / How to use a box scraper #9  
Lengthing the top-link allows for feathing out material.

Attachments

• 872544-000_0295 (Medium).jpg
    872544-000_0295 (Medium).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 609
   / How to use a box scraper #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yes the grass is pretty thick. )</font>

If I were working in grass, I'd put my scarifiers as deep as possible and try do a crisscross pattern to break up the grass roots. In my opinion, a boxblade is not very good at working in grass. You really need to remove the grass sod layer or break it up so the blade can dig it out. Grass is like working in rocks. They roll up under the blade and that causes you to dump or go over what you are trying to pull inside the box. Boxblades are best used on gravel, bare soil, or for spreading materials. Cutting throuh sod or dragging/collecting football sized rocks is not their strong point.

I keep my scarifiers all the way down on one of my boxblades and just use my hydraulic toplink to change the pitch of the blade. I also use tilt to change the blade for digging on either side. If you don't have that feature, you just have to experiment with several postions of your toplink and sidelink to see which works best for you. Getting on and off the tractor is a royal pain. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif