Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING?

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #1  

KansasKid

Tractor
New Holland 1925
I just bought an oil filter for my 1925 at the dealer and had to pay $9.53 for just the filter. Anybody got a cross reference for a New Holland part number 87415600 to a Fram or ANY other oil filter? PLEASE...a little help here.
Jerry in south central KS

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #2  
You might try websites for the mfg of filters (eg Purolator, Wix ,etc) I recall getting this info there in the past.

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #3  
Most people seem to get differently numbered filters from dealer as there are several different size filters NH offers with the same specs. 87415600 does not cross (NAPA/Wix 2005 catalog), but the older 1530/1630/1725/1925 filters cross to the NAPA Gold 1521 (21521 silver). Other filters with the same specs (3/4-16 threads 8-11 lb by-pass setting/ with anti drainback valve/ approx 2.7-2.85" seal OD/), but different can sizes are the 1348 (21348), 1515 (21515), 1516 (21516), 1335, 1068 (21068) and others. The 1515 is the standard older Ford, older Toyota trucks filter, the 1516 is the tall skinny Ford, the 1068 is older Chrysler, short large OD Ford, older Toyotas, the 1348 fits lots of older/current Japanese vehicles such as Lexus, Toyota,Suzuki, some Saabs, Harley Davidson, Saturn, Briggs & Stratton, Farm & lawn equip, even Yugo. The 1521 listed as the replacement for the 1925 fits Nissan fork lifts, New Holland , Porsche, Nissan trucks, Alfa Romeo, ect ect. Know of several people who have used these filters for years without problem.

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #4  
I've got 4 NAPA Gold 1515 filters and I have no idea what car, truck, or tractor they are supposed to go on.

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #5  
The 1515 has a larger can than the one the one called for but will work. That's what is on my tractor this moment.

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING?
Thanks for the help. I did find a WIX filter that the WIX website said was the direct replacement for the New Holland. The part number was WIX 51521. The NAPA gold 1521 number goes right along with the WIX number...in a way. At least now I have a number to cross reference.
Thanks again.
J

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #7  
Wow.. Some of my NH filters cost 30$+ each.. and the 'generics' are half that. if I could get genuine Nh filters for 9$.. I wouldn't complain..

Soundguy

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #8  
Anyone who feels unsure with non NH filters should buy them from dealer, but most but not all of the filters for the Shibaura engines NH sells appear to be made in USA. I have never studied the base plates (to determine manuf) of these dealer sourced filters , but I would think most would be supplied by the major US filter co's such as Wix or Champion Industries. They don't appear to be made by Shibaura.

edit: this is not a negative post towards Soundguy; (who's posts I have always respected) Just towards everyone in general to do whatever they themselves feel comfortable with.

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #9  
A bit off topic but not too much. What factors would make a particular brand X filter unsuitable? I understand that thread sizes, physical filter size and that sort of thing would be nonstarters but if it X refs to the original filter why wiouldnt it be safe to use?

/ Oil filter cross reference to Fram or ANYTHING? #10  
Fleetguard makes most of the OEM filters that we sell around here. They are a really good, top quality filter. If you tear these things appart there are apparent quality differences between different products. Some are descent, some are crap. The problem is that you never know what your getting. I my mind I want to buy the best filters I can, I actually pay more to use fleetguards on my personal vehicles.