Power shuttle/EHSS

/ Power shuttle/EHSS #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Anyone here have one of these trannys? I would love to hear what you think of it. Any problems? Pros/cons?
Bob

/ Power shuttle/EHSS #2  
Love it Doc took a little time to get used to it but I like it now just need to pick the right Range for work being done

/ Power shuttle/EHSS
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Love it Doc took a little time to get used to it but I like it now just need to pick the right Range for work being done )</font>

Thanks, what kind of work do you use it on? FEL? I understand you can move from forward to reverse without using the clutch and that no harm comes from going from forward to reverse and back while keeping engine revs high (2500 rpm). Is this true? No need to decrease the revs when using the shuttle?
Bob

/ Power shuttle/EHSS #4  
That is correct Doc_Bob no need to engage clutch while shifting. You will still need to stop to change ranges though. I had a lot of trouble with mine. Every time the tractor got wet due to rain or power washing the EHSS would quit working. Basically you couldn't move the tractor.

Took it in three times for the same thing. Last time a switch was replaced and the housing was filled with RTV caulk of some sort to keep it dry. I'm still not convinced that it's fixed. I'd have to leave it out on the next rain or power wash it as I do from time to time to see if it fails. If it does, I have to load it up and haul it in. It's a real hassle, but I will have to do it sooner or later.

The dealer has been real good about the whole thing. But I think New Holland has some problem that they don't fully understand.

For example, the tractor is not supposed to move after you first start it up unless you depress the clutch pedal. Last time the tractor got wet, since I got it back, the tractor would move with depressing the clutch first. I think this is a safety issue. After running it for about 1/2 hour it started working normally.

I still love my tractor though. Any particular reason you're not considering the TC48DA or the DX48?

/ Power shuttle/EHSS
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That is correct Doc_Bob no need to engage clutch while shifting. You will still need to stop to change ranges though. I had a lot of trouble with mine. Every time the tractor got wet due to rain or power washing the EHSS would quit working. Basically you couldn't move the tractor.

Took it in three times for the same thing. Last time a switch was replaced and the housing was filled with RTV caulk of some sort to keep it dry. I'm still not convinced that it's fixed. I'd have to leave it out on the next rain or power wash it as I do from time to time to see if it fails. If it does, I have to load it up and haul it in. It's a real hassle, but I will have to do it sooner or later.

The dealer has been real good about the whole thing. But I think New Holland has some problem that they don't fully understand.

For example, the tractor is not supposed to move after you first start it up unless you depress the clutch pedal. Last time the tractor got wet, since I got it back, the tractor would move with depressing the clutch first. I think this is a safety issue. After running it for about 1/2 hour it started working normally.

I still love my tractor though. Any particular reason you're not considering the TC48DA or the DX48? )</font>

More power in 55 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif No reason, just looked at 55 this week. The dealer ahs a 55 with EHSS. I am very concerned that the 55 has some problems with steering, etc. I wonder if the 48 does not have these problems? What do you think? Why do you suggest a 48? Appreciate your reply.
Bob

/ Power shuttle/EHSS #6  
I would not part with my TC55DA. The EHSS takes a litte to get used to, as you don't clutch for reverse and forward.

/ Power shuttle/EHSS #7  
I have an older EHSS, a 2120. I like the fact that the shuttle makes loader work pretty easy. I think I'd like a hydro better if I did more loader work, though, as you can vary the speed of the dig easier. The shuttle tractor acts just like a full-gear tractor except when reversing. I like that in the woods where keeping a foot on the hydro pedal is not so easy always. Also I'd hope for more control on downhills, though that may be because I have little hydro experience.
Mainly, I bought my tractor used (1150 hours and 13 years) and it had the shuttle. I like it much better than I thought I would, and believe I would order a new one set up this way. I like the idea of varying the engine speed, not the hydro, for the conditions I'm in. Mine's behaved perfectly, so far.
Jim

/ Power shuttle/EHSS
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have an older EHSS, a 2120. I like the fact that the shuttle makes loader work pretty easy. I think I'd like a hydro better if I did more loader work, though, as you can vary the speed of the dig easier. The shuttle tractor acts just like a full-gear tractor except when reversing. I like that in the woods where keeping a foot on the hydro pedal is not so easy always. Also I'd hope for more control on downhills, though that may be because I have little hydro experience.
Mainly, I bought my tractor used (1150 hours and 13 years) and it had the shuttle. I like it much better than I thought I would, and believe I would order a new one set up this way. I like the idea of varying the engine speed, not the hydro, for the conditions I'm in. Mine's behaved perfectly, so far.
Jim )</font>

I have read that the 2120 has not had any problems, only the TC55 series.
Bob

/ Power shuttle/EHSS
Oscar, Darrell , and DieselMonk. You all own a TC55DA with EHSS. I drove one this weekend and I liked it. Power, size and weight. But, my biggest concern seems to be a pattern of problems, with the steering not working when loaded to just a feeling (can’t put my finger on it) of possible other problems that imply that the tractor may have some teething problems.

Are my concerns real? What do you three think? I am not asking you to bad mouth your machines. Like I indicated, I was very impressed. But I come to TBN to avoid investing in a machine that might have a pattern of problems.

Bob

/ Power shuttle/EHSS #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oscar, Darrell , and DieselMonk. You all own a TC55DA with EHSS. I drove one this weekend and I liked it. Power, size and weight. But, my biggest concern seems to be a pattern of problems, with the steering not working when loaded to just a feeling (can&#8217;t put my finger on it) of possible other problems that imply that the tractor may have some teething problems.

Are my concerns real? What do you three think? I am not asking you to bad mouth your machines. Like I indicated, I was very impressed. But I come to TBN to avoid investing in a machine that might have a pattern of problems.

Bob
)</font>

Hi Bob!

O.k. on the streering issue some experience and you wanna know about. As far as I read here in this forum, some have this issue more than others. I think Neoclark's' has this issue for sure. As for mine, she only would do it once in a while with my bucket loaded full with gravel and no counter weight. By that time the tractor gets a little tipy anyway. As for you, I would "test" the new TC55DA right in their yard. Pick something heavy up and see what you think. BTW here is a good tip for you. Get some tubes in the rear tires, load them and get the rim backwards installed. This way you gain a litte more width and makes the tractor a little more stable. You don't wanna start without that. Good luck!