1920 Clutch Service

/ 1920 Clutch Service #1  

toddwulf

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 New Holland 1920
Greetings Gang - Been a while since I've posted. My 1920 (12x4 tranny) clutch is no longer completely disengaging /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif leading me to think it may be time to R&R the clutch disc(s). The tractor's over at my partners so I haven't been over to look at it yet, but I will check for linkage play etc...to make sure it requires R&R. 1920's got close to 1000 hours on it - Seems like the clutch shouldn't be worn that quickly but I'm not sure about that.

So questions are:
1. What should clutch disc normally last, time wise.
2. What besides linkage play should I check.
3. R&R the clutch is a split the tractor in half operation if I read the manual correctly. While I could do this, it may be a little over my head. Thoughts on the cost if jobbed out vs. doing it in the shop.
4. If I do have to crack this puppy in half, what else ought to be done when it's splayed open?

Thanks in advance. Todd /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 1920 Clutch Service #2  
I'm going out on a limb here.. as you may have already done this.. but had you adjusted the clutch any?

And.. unless you are abusive with the clutch.. it should last more than 1000 hrs... Possibly in to the 2-3k range. And the bigger the tractor.. sometimes the longer.. etc.

Yep.. split to change. and remember.. that is a 2 stage clutch unit. When split always check the tranny input shaft seal for leakage.. and the rear main engine seal for leakage... check pressure plate as well... throw out bearing... etc.

Soundguy

/ 1920 Clutch Service
Nope - Haven't adjusted it yet. It's over at my tractor partners property - Hope to get over there in the next week or bring him the manual and see what he can determine. I've not driven it in a few months either, so this is not first hand knowledge.

/ 1920 Clutch Service #4  
The manual has the procedure for the clutch adjustment.

Soundguy