Backhoe Backhoe Removal

/ Backhoe Removal #1  

atomichead

Tractor
TC18 Hyd
I just got a TC18 with FEL and backhoe last week. This machine is awesome! I've been digging out rocks and stumps (good size ones) for the last few days and this tractor takes on everything I throw at it.

But being up here in New England, it's getting time to put her away. I would like to take the backhoe off just in case something goes wrong with my Bolens snowthrower and I need to move snow with the FEL. The manual says to stretch the backhoe all the way out before pulling the pins and disconnecting the hydraulics. With limited garage space, I would still like to keep both the tractor and backhoe indoors. My question is can I fold the backhoe up towards the tractor till the bucket is resting flat on the ground, then disconnect?

Attachments

• 13-84229-TRACTOR-post.jpg
    13-84229-TRACTOR-post.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 177
   / Backhoe Removal #2  
Hi,

Can I ask why you want to remove the backhoe if you're going to move snow with the loader? I left my backhoe on my Kubota B2910 all last winter while moving snow with the loader. It's great ballast, and when dealing with snow you want as much weight as possible "on your side". This is especially true when lifting the loader bucket full of snow onto a tall pile.

The only down side was a bit less maneuverability, but that was not a major problem, I just needed to remember it was back there.

I plan on keeping it on this winter too, unless I buy my 3 pt. snowblower.

~Rick

/ Backhoe Removal
Rick,

I have a 3 point weight box so that's not a problem. I want it off more for maneuverability than anything else. I've bumped into things with my 'little' Bolens so I'm afraid it might be a demolition derby with this beast.

/ Backhoe Removal #4  
Hey,
I agree with Rick. The more weight the better. Did they fill your tires? Although I haven't seen it alot in threads other than MI; Beat juice seems to be the thing around here. Supposed to be better for the rims (even with rimguard) than the cal clor mix. Even heard a few say they put windshield washer fluid in the tires.

I fold the BH all the way up when I take it off. You'll see in my other threads that I believe NH doesn't put anything in writing that will be a liability problem. Make sure the pads are down. I put one of the little cheap floor jacks under the knuck so it won't lean forward. If there's not support, when you pull out the BH will teeter on the pads and the subframe will scrape and catch everything under the tractor. I've almost pinched the Hyd hose so watch it. On the other hand, if you pressure the boom down too hard you won't be able to release the subframe pins. You'll get used to it. Two people makes this quad easier. One to drive the tractor and another to watch what's goin' on in back and work the BH pads. I put my 10 year old up there to help. This also supports the father child thing. And they really feel like their doing their part.

/ Backhoe Removal #5  
I just got a quote yesterday for installing Rimguard @ $1.45 gal. and $50. hour labor...

How much is it in your area?

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Backhoe Removal #6  
Cant help you with the BH removeal, but you hopefully can help me. I have the TC21D with FEL 60"mmm 48" brush cutter. I want the BH, please tell me how much they are and how they hook up. With the mmm setup would i have to remove the spring tention setup to use the BH. Thanks Larry

/ Backhoe Removal
I paid $5000 installed for my BH. The foward part of the BH frame is pinned to the FEL mid mount bracket. The rear part slides over pins located below the rear axle (don't know if these pins are standard or part of the BH kit). Don't have an MMM so I can't give you first hand experience but looking at the BH frame, I think it could play havoc with a mower deck's fittings.

/ Backhoe Removal #8  
Re: Backhoe and MMM

The backhoe and MMM's mounts occupy the same space. These two attachments are not compatible without removing ALL the mounting kit parts from the MMM to attach those for the hoe.

/ Backhoe Removal
Thanks everyone for the help. Mike, I tried your idea with the jack under the knuckle and it worked great. And two people do make it easier.

13-84734-TRACTOR-post.jpg

/ Backhoe Removal #10  
It was included with the price of the tractor. I'll give them a call and see what they charge.