TC29D tilt wheel shock or gas cylinder

/ TC29D tilt wheel shock or gas cylinder #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
I had a post on this same subject 4 or 5 years ago, but the search isn't working so I can't find it. Anyway, within a year after I bought my TC29D (in the spring of 2000), the tilt wheel failed. It was the cylinder that holds it in place that failed. It looks like a small shock absorber type cylinder. I don't know of it's gas filled or just oil or what. It leaked oil out and didn't hold the steering column in place. I had it replaced under warranty. It failed again a year or 2 later, but it was out of warranty by then so I didn't replace it yet. It still works, but leaks oil out every time I pull up on the lever to adjust the wheel, so I don't use it much, I just put it in a spot that's OK for driving and to get on and off and left it. I'm considering getting a new one since I'd like to have my tilt wheel feature back. I called the NH dealer and they said it's no longer available as a separate part and I'd have to buy the whole steering column for over $300! I called Case and they have them for the DX29 (same tractor, just different color) for $100 and can get one in a day. It comes with a 6 month warranty. Before I spend $100, I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem? If it's a chronic problem, then I'll save $100 and build something of my own.

/ TC29D tilt wheel shock or gas cylinder #2  
Thank goodness that Case gives you a choice.
Bob

/ TC29D tilt wheel shock or gas cylinder #3  
If I remember correctly the problem was caused by water and dirt following the piston down and wearing the seal of the shock. Think there was some kind of an additional plastic piece that was added to the new cylinder piston to keep the water and crud from accumulating. Maybe someone that has made the mod can shed more light on the subject.

/ TC29D tilt wheel shock or gas cylinder #4  
I bought a replacement shock off of ebay about 18 months ago. I cannot find the sellers name, nor find one currently listed. It was not the OEM part, but one that someone found that worked.

It may have been seller "brh1977" on ebay. Maybe email them and ask.

If the search engine here was working, I may be able to find a post about it that I made.

/ TC29D tilt wheel shock or gas cylinder #5  
pull the little cylinder out and go to your parts store. They have a selection of them. You may have to modify the mounting a little to take a generic cylinder. When you install the new one see if you can put it in rod-end down. This will prevent water running down and ruining the seals.