Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #1  

Anonymous Poster

Should I Buy a \"Bushhog\" brand cutter

I am looking to buy a rotary cutter for my two places. In all I'll cut about 40 over-grown acres intially and there after I'll use it to keep up the place. My question is should I spend 1300 for a "Bushhog" brand bushhog?
Are they worth the money? I may use it to make some money on the side clearing up places etc., so guys I need some info.

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #2  
Re: Should I Buy a \"Bushhog\" brand cutter

BushHog is among the best, if not the best cutter on the market... LandPride makes a nice cutter, as does Rhino, Befco, Woods, et al. You won't hear many bad things about any of them. The economy cutters do what they were designed to do, but I would go with one of the brands I mentioned, or another reputable brand if you intend to give it heavy use in various types of cutting.

msig2.gif

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #3  

I have a 286 and love it. Very well built.
Its amazing what it will cut.

The one thing I would say is get the biggest one your tractor can run. Cutting 40 acers with a 4 ft cutter will take a long time. By the time your done you can start again /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Fred

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #4  

You didn't mention your tractor size or how overgrown the 40 acres is. If the overgrowth is second growth with larger than 1" saplings, you will need something with a good gearbox and a slip clutch. If the growth is just deep grass, a quality standard or medium duty cutter will suffice.
I have a light duty 5' Bush Hog for my TC29 and it works quite well for pasture cutting and small bushes and such. I also have a Woods XT84 for my Allis tractor and it works on heavy grass and stuff up to an inch or so and the 84" cut saves time. However, I am doing a lot of pasture reclaiming from serious second growth and finally bit the bullet and bought a heavy duty cutter (Bush Hog 406) that has made this job significantly easier. Before I had to get down and cut off the stuff too big to cut, now there is little that is second growth this cutter won't handle. All these cutters have performed very well and have only required routine maintenance
A long way to say estimate your use, tractor size, and especially future projects and buy a quality cutter that will satisfy today and tomorrow. It costs a lot more in the long run to replace a lower quality or not large enough cutter than making the correct choice to begin with.

Bill

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter

Bill,

What are you using to drive that 406 hog? That is one mean machine...

I strongly considered it before I ended up getting my 7' Brown. The 1550 lbs. + I felt was a bit much for my light utility JD.

Tell me more about your 406... how much...etc.

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #6  

John
I have a Agco Allis 5670 4wd tractor. It is rated 63 max pto hp and the 3 pt hitch supports supposedly 5000 lbs. I keep my bucket and loader on and it seems to counter balance the weight OK. You can feel it when you lift it though. The cutter has worked very well and allows me in a single pass to cut up to the 4" diameter limit. When I hit a cluster of larger trees 3-4" you can feel the engine slow down and I need to make sure to keep the tractor speed down so it can digest the material. A more powerful tractor would certainly benefit this cutter. The cutter is very well made and yet pretty easy to hook up.

I had been looking for one for some time. They are pretty expensive and I was justifying the cost versus effort. Recently we have been laying new fence and clearing the second growth and the time and effort become to the point were I felt I wanted to go ahead. When I was looking at NH TCs, I asked the salesman if they carried the 406 and what was the cost. He had the best cost by $300, would get one from another dealer so as not to charge me shipping, and would include it in the low financing rate when I bought my NH TC29. The cost was $3150. Still makes me blink, but when I use it and see the time and effort it saves me I feel better.
It has the chain deflectors front and rear otherwise standard machine.

Bill

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BillH on 11/27/01 04:18 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Re: Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter

BROWN CUTTER ARE BUILT RIDGE,STRONG AND BELIEVE IT WILL OUT CUT THE 406 (BUSHOG)

Re: Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter

I don't know if it will out cut it... but it's a darn nasty vicious cutter... with those blade tips spinning at 202 mph... I'd be scared and get the heck out of the way... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Yes, it's one of the most durable/well built units I've ever seen on the market... and I've seen lots of them... no brag... just fact...

I have to admit Bush Hog & some others paint job is prettier... but this Brown has got the kyonions (sp?) and muscle to do some extreme damage... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #9  

Nope, that definitely ain't the way you spell it, John./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Should I Buy a "Bushhog" brand cutter #10  

Ain't the way to spell it, but we understand.... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Terry

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TerryinMD on 11/28/01 02:38 PM (server time).</FONT></P>