Painting battery acid corrosion?

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #1  

Tractorganic

Silver Member
Tractor
NH/TC40D SS; BCS 850, Brush Mower, Sulky, 'Tiller, Chipper, Snow Blower; JD X570-48-A
This is my second go-round with battery leak damage on my TC40D and I'd like to be done with it. The tractor has been down for two weeks with a hydraulic steering leak caused by leaking acid and I've been removing parts too badly corroded to replace including battery plate and bolts. A mechanic from a dealer is returning this week with new hydraulic fittings and lines plus oil cooler pipes and other parts (some is warrantee work). I allready bought an Optimum sealed battery. There is bad paint damage on top of the front axle and peeling on the chasis near where the supersteer arms fasten.
I sponged affected parts with baking soda water but this corrosion is rough and scaly so I'm wondering if I need to grind, sand or just spray on the NH Gray paint right out of the can. These areas will be real tricky to work on after the new plate is installed. I'm trying to include a picture but this system is fighting me.

Attachments

• Toothbar6-06 006.jpg
    Toothbar6-06 006.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 396
   / Painting battery acid corrosion? #2  
I'd use a wire wheel on a drill to remove the scale and rust, clean the areas, prime and paint.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #3  
Seeing a number of post here about batteries leaking and doing damage I think it might be a good idea for me to trash the factory New Holland battery and replace it with an Optima battery before I have any damage from leaking.

What battery model number or cranking amps do I need guy's? It's for my TC35A

Thanks!

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #4  
You might try a search on Optima in the NH OO forum. It depends what model Boomer you have.

Tractorganic - I assume you meant an Optima battery?

I installed a dry cell battery, an Odyssey PC925L .

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #5  
I agree with MikePA. Wire brush, scrape, chip, grind or whatever you need to do to remove the crusty buildup then neutralize with baking soda / water mix. any pitting can be filled with liquid steel putty then sanded, primed and repainted.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #6  
Unless the pitting is really bad, I wouldn't bother with the liquid steel.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #7  
Once you install an Optima battery further damage from acid will end. Wire wheel, prime & paint.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion?
Thanks MikePA and everyone!
Yup it's an Optima, my dumb. I got it at an Interstate battery dealership 20 miles from home. I paid about $140. It looks like a red plastic tall boy six pack.
The questions the dealer asked me regarding the right model for my TC40D (I'm replacing my NH 60 amp hour car/truck battery the NH dealer provided after my first mess) were:
1) Will it fit snugly between the two bolt down plastic brackets or does it use a hold down strap.
2) What's the position of the posts pos. and neg. and will they mate with the cables.
I put the new battery on the old corroded plate I'd allready removed and remounted the plastic brackets. They seem to grip the lip at the bottom of the battery so I guess it will hold. The posts are right for my config. so I broke it down awaiting new parts. Now I need the right wire wheel for work in the confined spaces underneath the radiator and above the axle.
Today I have skin on my knuckles, tomorrow??

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #9  
Tractorganic said:
Thanks MikePA and everyone!
Today I have skin on my knuckles, tomorrow??

More power to you for all that work! Nice to see you have a solution. Be careful, wear glasses and wear gloves. Be careful!
Bob

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #10  
Tractorganic said:
This is my second go-round with battery leak damage on my TC40D and I'd like to be done with it.... There is bad paint damage on top of the front axle and peeling on the chasis near where the supersteer arms fasten.
I sponged affected parts with baking soda water but this corrosion is rough and scaly so I'm wondering if I need to grind, sand or just spray on the NH Gray paint right out of the can. These areas will be real tricky to work on after the new plate is installed.

If you want to go a little extra on the heavily rusted areas, there is a Loctite product called "Extend" that will neutralize the rust and convert it so it will not come back beneath your new primer and paint. Here are a few pictures of my repair and battery shelf.

When you get the paint finished, you will want to use oem foam or creat something to seal the front area to keep dirt and debris from getting into your radiator. That area relies on the grill to filter out large particles and keep the radiator clean.

Attachments

• Damage.jpg
    Damage.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 449
  • Refinished.jpg
    Refinished.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 220