Oil & Fuel Fuel Storage Questions

/ Fuel Storage Questions #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I seem to remember somewhere reading that it's a good idea to store diesel fuel in non-metallic containers. Is this true? I have a 10.7 gallon metal container I got from northern. It's gravity feed with a hose on the bottom. It's made for gasoline, but I'm currently using it for diesel. The only disadvantage to it is that my pickup bed is not quite high enough to fuel the tractor from, and of course, it's pretty heavy to lug around when full. These can be overcome, though, as long as the metal tank is ok for the diesel fuel. At under 11 gallons, I don't anticipate fuel would be sitting in the tank very long for a TC 26 DA, though it might sit for quite a while in the winter. Should I paint it yellow, or use it for the gas machines?

/ Fuel Storage Questions #2  
MiserableOldFart said:
I seem to remember somewhere reading that it's a good idea to store diesel fuel in non-metallic containers. Is this true? I have a 10.7 gallon metal container I got from northern.

Storage in Non-metallic tanks ???

Almost if not ALL Farmers storage tanks are steel. Older Gas Stations with above ground Storage Tanks , All Steel. Granted these tanks are intended for Fuel and most have a Polymer Coating that is Fuel Resisant to ****** the formation of Rust. Diesel Fuel tanks on over the road trucks , either Aluminum or Steel tanks. They are not "Storing" fuel, but fuel is setting in the tank for a period of time.

I would have a Filter that prefilters any fuel coming from any storage tank prior to filling up. Reason being if the Tank is spottless (No RUST and polymer coated) , there is still a chance of debris getting in Storage tank when it is being filled.

Plastic Tanks would not have the rust problem, but could still accumlate debris from re-filling of the tank. That would be the only advantage I would see with STEEL vs PLASTIC.

/ Fuel Storage Questions #3  
Most metal is fine for diesel. It's galvanized metal that is bad with diesel. Plastic made for fuel storage is fine too.

/ Fuel Storage Questions
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if the tank is galvanized on the inside. I'll have to take a look. I know it was clean when it was new because I checked it. It did have a little oily stuff in it, but that was all.

Gee. Somewhere I have a 70 gallon aluminum tank I took out of my old boat. I could probably put that in the back of my truck and mount a crank pump on it, but I think it would be overkill for a five gallon fuel tank on the tractor.

Thanks!

/ Fuel Storage Questions #5  
Not overkill at all. You don't need to fill the 70 gallon tank to the top. I use a 55 gallon drum with an 11$ Harbor Freight rotary pump on it to refill the 7.9 gallon tank on my tractor. I actually fill 5 gallon transfer jugs to being with me to the site where I then fill the tank as it runs out.

I see no problem with oil in a metal tank. Just think of all the home heating oil tanks out there made of metal.

/ Fuel Storage Questions #6  
What is wrong with galvanized tanks for diesel? Galvanizing is just zinc coating over steel or iron, not likely to interact with any petro product. Educate me, please.

/ Fuel Storage Questions #7  
Diesel will degrade the zinc coating and it will end up in your filters or motor. Do a quick Internet search on diesel and galvanized and you will find more info. about it. Gasoline does not have this issue.

/ Fuel Storage Questions #8  
I'd never heard that. Guess I'll need to look into it for professional reasons, given that I teach chemistry.

/ Fuel Storage Questions #9  
I'm curious about the chemisty of this myself. I haven't had time to look into it. Please post if you find something.

/ Fuel Storage Questions #10  
Diesel storage:

Store diesel fuel carefully to protect it from contaminants, using large, permanent storage tanks wherever possible. Maintain these permanent storage tanks carefully, and filter the fuel from these tanks as it is transferred to equipment tanks.

Water requires a long time to settle to the bottom of diesel fuel, so the fuel must stand 12 to 24 hours after filling or moving before the water can be drained. If possible, use two storage tanks—one for active use while the new fuel is settling in the other. If you have one storage tank and are expecting a fuel delivery, fill the equipment fuel tanks before the supplier fills the storage tank.

It is best to fill equipment fuel tanks from rigidly mounted storage tanks that are properly installed, maintained and filtered. Observe the following precautions:

- Don't let water, dirt or anything else collect on top of the storage drums.

- Don't let the fuel-transfer-pump suction pipe extend to the bottom of the storage container.

- Don't ever transfer fuel in an open container.

- Don't knock dirt into the equipment tank while filling. Clean the cap before removing it.

- Don't store diesel fuel in a galvanized container. The fuel reacts with and dissolves the galvanized coating, later depositing this material in the filters and the engine.

( Diesel contains some sulfur and water. Combining the two can form sulfuric acid, which will etch metal parts. )

- Don't store diesel fuel in containers that were previously used for gasoline or other solvent unless the containers are carefully cleaned. Fine rust and dirt, which will quickly settle out of gasoline, will mix readily with the diesel fuel and cause damage.

- Always drain sediment from the fuel storage tank before transferring fuel.

- Always use a filter between the fuel storage tank and the equipment tank. -

- Drain the water trap and service filter as suggested by the manufacturer.

- Always cap the transfer hose nozzle when not in use to prevent the entrance of moisture or dirt.

- About twice a year (spring and fall are suggested), thoroughly drain and clean the storage tank. Rinse out loose sediment with clean diesel fuel.

- Use smaller containers to transport fuel between the storage tank and the equipment. Steel drums or similar portable containers require special attention to prevent contamination of the fuel. You can be sure that if there is dirt and water in the containers, it will be completely mixed with the fuel by the time you reach the equipment. Therefore, make sure the portable containers are clean before filling them.