Draft Control - TC48DA

/ Draft Control - TC48DA #1  

Crisswell

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 48DA
I'm a newbie. Just got my tractor on Thursday - FINALLY. I love it!! It's a TC48 FWD with an 18LA loader and RFM.

Here's my next dumb question! :eek:

I'm trying to figure out if I have to do anything with the 3 pt and/or Draft controls to allow the RFM to "float" with the terrain, when mowing?? The salesman that delivered the tractor to me told me the Draft control positioned all the way to "+" would take care of it - but he wasn't all that sure of himself and I had that feeling you get when you're pretty sure someone is trying to sound like they know what they're doing, but don't!

I read the operator "Draft Control" manual section, but it's not real clear on when to use it and what it does - only how to turn it on.

Trying to use some common sense, it would seem to me that the RFM would always be floating if the 3 pt hitch is fully lowered, since the top link has no hydraulics. The Draft control should have nothing to do with it. Is that right??

What does the draft control do and when do you use it??

Thanks!

Andy

/ Draft Control - TC48DA #2  
You don't have to set, adjust or turn anything on to get it to float. It is a design function of the three point hitch. Let the mower down all the way and it will follow the ground. Three point hitches have power up only and they don't hold anything down. It's like lifting something up with your open palm. BTW, congratulations on your new tractor.

/ Draft Control - TC48DA #3  
Crisswell said:
I read the operator "Draft Control" manual section, but it's not real clear on when to use it and what it does - only how to turn it on.

Andy

Draft is used for ground engaging implements, like a plow. RFM does not qualify!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob

/ Draft Control - TC48DA
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Andy

/ Draft Control - TC48DA #5  
Yep.. draft to off.. and your 3pt down... As usuale.. your salesman was FOS... most are these days... gotta love people that are there to sell you high dollar pieces of equipment.. and yet, are totally ignorant of any of the technical specifications...

Soundguy

/ Draft Control - TC48DA #6  
I have a bush hog RFM on a TC26DA. It doesn't have draft control, but BushHog manual says that they want you to lower the 3ph only to the point where the bars (cutter lower links) on the RFM are parallel to the ground. This is quite a bit up from all the way down. I don't know if that's standard procedure, or how important it is, but that's what it says.

/ Draft Control - TC48DA #7  
Draft control isn't that great for mowing. in the old days the early ford 9n and 2n had draft only.. and position control was desired for mowing. thus there were quite a few position control jigs that came out as a workaround to help out with mowing.. so that you didn't have to drive while permanently looking back making mowing height corrections.

Cheapest and easiest way was limit chains.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Draft Control - TC48DA
MiserableOldFart said:
I have a bush hog RFM on a TC26DA. It doesn't have draft control, but BushHog manual says that they want you to lower the 3ph only to the point where the bars (cutter lower links) on the RFM are parallel to the ground. This is quite a bit up from all the way down. I don't know if that's standard procedure, or how important it is, but that's what it says.

I think the difference is an RFM vs a BH.

I've got a 90" Land Pride RFM that has 4 wheels, one on each corner, so when the 3ph is fully lowered, the RFM becomes a pull behind to do finish mowing. The bush hog weighs 1,200#'s and doesn't have any wheels in front. I haven't used it yet, but I'm assuming you have to keep the front of it lifted a bit to keep the skids, skidding - not running big ruts into the turf.