new holland tc45d help!!!

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #1  

paulm

Some moron put gasoline in my diesel tank and I cannot find a fuel tank drain on the bottom.
Any one have any ideas as to how I can drain the tank.
I found the fuel outlet line, but if I unhook that line diesel will run out all over the tractor before I could get a hose on it.
I would appreciate help from anyone especially tc45d owners.
Paulm the moron.

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #2  
I wouldn't just drain gasoline. I'de unbolt the tank (just two bolts in the back, the fuel line & sending unit wire) and turn the tank upside down. Then flush it with some clean diesel and repeat before reinstalling.

Did any gasoline get pumped into the injector? :confused:

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #3  
paulm said:
Some moron put gasoline in my diesel tank and I cannot find a fuel tank drain on the bottom.

How much gas in the diesel?
Bob

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #4  
If you discovered the problem before running the engine, I'd just siphon the fuel out of the tank (all of it) and add a full tank of diesel. It will dilute the gasoline to such a point that you will have no problem with the engine. An inline suction bulb like the ones used on boat gasoline tanks will help you get the siphon started. I don't suggest the "hose to mouth" method unless you have a clear hose. There are many ways to get a siphon started, but only a few safe ones.

If you started the engine, then you will have to drain and change your fuel filter and bleed the line to the injector pump. That might be a job for a professional.

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #5  
paulm said:

My TN70A has a drain plug built into the tank. I would have guessed the TC series would have the same feature.
Bob

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #7  
Wow.. no shutoff at the tank... nice feature.. guess nh got tired of selling the flimsy 25$ units that were making them some good money...

I echo the others info.. If it wan't started though.. i think i still might change the fuel filters in case the gas had started to permieate them.

If it had been started and shut down before disaster.. do all above and fully open injector lines and let them bleed.. Take it easy on the starter and let it cool between attempts.. may want to keep a car charger handy... crankin' diesel engine will whoop a battery fast.

Once you are sure diesel is flowing.. close the lines..

I've hear some people that will even run a little engine oil into the bottom of the tank when they refill with diesel.. just to make sure the pump gets good lube and to also 'grab' any remaining gas... etc.. ( not all pumps are fuel lubed.. so milage may vary.. )

Soundguy

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #8  
To drain your fuel tank, remove the fuel hose at your fuel filter inlet and let it drain into buckets. When your tank is empty pour a gallon or so of fresh fuel into the tank to flush it out. Change the fuel filter. Refill tank ,add a quart of Dextron to the fuel tank and bleed filter to remove air. If your tractor was ran with gas in the tank, loosen up your injection lines at the injectors and crank it to flush them. Tighten the lines and start it up.

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #9  
whitetiger said:
,add a quart of Dextron to the fuel tank .

Why would you put another foreign fluid into the tank?
Bob

/ new holland tc45d help!!! #10  
Gas is bad in a diesel.. however.. adding an oil to the tank isn't too bad.. and in the case where the lube has been washed off due to gas contamination.. adding an oil.. can help re-lube things.

I've heard of adding atf or engine oil.. etc.

Soundguy