TC40D Glow Plug Problem

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #1  

RandyV

In the morning when I go to start my New Holland TC40D the glow plug light does not come on. Since it is summer there is no problem starting the tractor. Later, after I have run the tractor a bit and shut it off, when I turn on the key the glow plug light and timer comes on and cycles normally. Is this a problem with the timer or does it mean that there is something wrong with one or more of the glow plugs? Thank you.

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #2  
I suspect your timer bit the dust just as mine did. Here's the proceedure for checking out the timer it's pretty easy to do.

Attachments

• timer1.jpg
    timer1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 6,164
  • timer2.jpg
    timer2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3,840
   / TC40D Glow Plug Problem
Mike, Thanks for the drawings, I will check out the timer today. What manual did those drawings come from? Looks like something that I should have. Randy

p.s. Checked out your site, Wow you have done a lot to your TC40 and the quality of the work looks fantastic.

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #4  
Randy the diagrams are out of the NH repair manuals. I understand they are available in book style or on CD. I also believe that they can be purchased on-line.

Thanks for the compliment on the TC-40D pages. My hope is that they can help others that want to add accessories to their tractors as well. They seem to be pretty popular as they get lots of hits.

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem
Mike, The problem seems to be a bad connection though I am not sure where. Everything is currently working fine and all that I really did is mess with the wires getting to the timer. We will see how it goes and thanks again for the information. Randy

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #6  
Randy pull that Molex plug loose from the timer and check the connectors on both the pug itself and the timer module. Possibly there is a bit of corrosion starting there that might be causing your intermittent problem.

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #7  
Randy,

I have a TC33D and I have experienced the exact same situation as you in the last week. Glow plug light does not come on when tractor is cold however, after it has warmed up it comes on with each turn of the key. Have you figured out what your problem was?

Tim

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #8  
PineRidge said:
I suspect your timer bit the dust just as mine did. Here's the proceedure for checking out the timer it's pretty easy to do.

Many thanks to PineRidge. He did'nt realize it at the time but he was helping out more than one guy. Those pics showing location of glow plug timer were invaluable. Finally got around to replacing the timer & it works like a charm. A bit steep ($70 Canadian) for the timer but its worth it with this cold weather we have been getting up here. Don't even need block heater although I have one connected. Just fires right up after glow plugs time out. :)

Thanks Again,

Vic

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #9  
So just how cold is it up there? We're shivering here in Missouri with nights in the teens and days in the 20's. We're just not used to this kind of cold - at least not for the past ten years or more. I'll bet it's a tad bit colder up in your neck of the woods!

KEG

/ TC40D Glow Plug Problem #10  
Sounds like a corrosion problem; as things warm up ( expand0 and vibrate they make contact; shut off and cool down ( contract0 you loose contact. Time to pull ALL connectors on the circuit and clean very well; use dielectric grease in all connectors before reinstalling.