TC-45 transmission split open

/ TC-45 transmission split open
The backhoe has a sub-frame hook-up. No break was noticed earlier- though there may have been a hairline crack. Machine was repaired for about $7500-covered by my bus. insurance, fortunately. We are waiting to hear from a New Holland rep....I doubt he will have much to say....looks like a manufacturing defect. Looking at the design of the machine, all the load stress from the front and rear centers on this area.

/ TC-45 transmission split open #62  
have_blue said:
Well Sound Guy, I can see that I'll never convince you that there is always a better way of building things without sacrificing somewhere. And You'll never convince me that I should honor traditional design. So we'll call it a draw and leave it at that.

you know it could have been an imperfection inthe casting too. Sure he was probably using it at 110% of intented stress. You get three experts (which I am not)in the room and you will have 3 diff. opinions on this one. My guess is the poor guy is out another housing and some labor...NH won't cover that.

/ TC-45 transmission split open #63  
RC1 said:
The backhoe has a sub-frame hook-up. No break was noticed earlier- though there may have been a hairline crack.

There is a fairly high probability the casting did have a flaw. Anyone who has ever manufactured large castings will tell you, it's extremely hard to produce consistently flawless castings. The manufacturers compensate by over-building a bit, but a small inclusion or porosity in a stress point will still cause a failure.

/ TC-45 transmission split open #64  
Another topic related to this is the continued reduction in depth of the bellhousing and gear box housings on compact tractors in search of the flat operator deck and sales.

Old compacts and ag units have deep castings that form a good backbone. Many don't need subframes for loaders and certainly don't have problems with big 3 point hitch attachments. Problem is people don't want to step over a hump and they don't want it to be too tall to fit in the garage.

/ TC-45 transmission split open #65  
Yep.. I could never figure out the hump issue.... Seems like some people want an absolutely flat OP platform.. I prefer to set a bit lower and have a tranny between my legs, so to speak.

Soundguy

/ TC-45 transmission split open #66  
Agreed, the riding the trans, so to speak never bothered me. The old IH3444 is a comfortable tractor to ride all day. Just a workout to operate. The NH TC48 is a breeze to drive, and shift gears. Actually fun to drive the TC48.

/ TC-45 transmission split open #67  
I mainly use a NH 7610s, and a ford 5000.. they fell identical to me.. but I ues to have a NH 1920.. it had a flat op platform... felt.. funny.. like I was in an automobile.. not a tractor.. etc..

Soundguy

/ TC-45 transmission split open #68  
I think the flat platforms are for guys like me that are running the CUT's.

For the landscaping and stuff that we do with ours, we spend more time getting on and off the thing then we do running it. Sure is nice to have a flat deck at that point.

/ TC-45 transmission split open #69  
I can see where that makes a big difference. Usually once I get on my iron horse.. i'm there till the pasture is mowed.. then i get off and that's it.

I can see where landscape work might require frequent on / off trips.

I guess if ya had a bad leg or bad knees.. that might make a difference too..

Soundguy