New TZ25DA

/ New TZ25DA #1  

JagAlfaOwner

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TZ24DA
I just bought a new TZ25DA. My wife settled on an agreed price and wala it was delivered last week. I have only put on it 1 hour but I am curious about a bunch of things. I have never had to mow more than 1/3 acre and now I have 2 acres with hills. Hence the TZ. I have read all the posts about the 50 hour service and hopefully I will not have to do mine until spring. We ordered a rear blade, going to use it for snow and dirt smoothing. Now my questions:

There are truck stops near and fuel stations near. I did not see the fuel # 1 or 2 on the pump. It had a sticker warning owner of 2007 and up not to use it? It had I believe a 45 Cetane rating? Do I search for #1 for winter use or can I use this?

Should I just replace the filters at the 50 hour service (except the engine, then both oil and filter). I count about 3 gallons of the special oil? It seems mixed thoughts on the posts I have read. Majority?

The levers for the PTO Selection are very hard to push or pull, sometimes I have to start it and rev it like a standard transmission to get the gears to line up? Is this normal or should it be reported for service?

It seems to start and run good, I have kept the revs different everytime I have used it. the dealer says I need to get used to the noise from the HST, it is normal! True?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I know most of what I have read the tractor are the next size up. Any thoughts or recommendations are great!

Thanks

Al

/ New TZ25DA #2  
Congrats on your new toy.....I mean tool!

Being the first reply, I'll do my best from my experiences.

I have a late model TC24DA and here it goes.....

I use whatever diesel fuel I can get at the local pumps and have never had any issues....except the the price.

When my 50hr. service came around, I changed everything.....filters, fluid, etc. I of course, used overpriced New Holland stuff because I figured that if there was a warranty issue...... Down the road, consider cross referencing the filters to Wix or something else as good but cheaper. I use the New Holland hyd. oil because I'm not saavy on the hydraulic oil stuff. I do use Shell Rotella for the engine oil. KEEP YOUR RECIEPTS and DOCUMENT if you do your own service should there be a warranty issue (never had one with NH but with GM on a new 1 ton truck!)

I don't use my mid-pto as I don't have a mid-mower, but do use the rear a lot. Yes I have to work the clutch sometimes a little to get it to completely shift. Not to worry.

There are many discussions here about gear vs. hst... by no means is this one of them, but there is a certain amount of "noise" created by the hst transmission and its associated mechanisms. For most chores, I run mine full-throttle. For example; mowing, back and forth loader work, tilling, grading drive, etc. You'll get the feel for what your particular machine wants. However, if you feel something is not right (sight or sound) call your dealer!

These little NH tractors are great as I have had excellent luck with mine. I traded a Kubota in on my current NH and I have noticed that the NH is much more quiet in terms of the "hydro wine" than my neighbors new Kubota, or even my old Kubota.

Welcome here, you'll find a wealth of information...good luck, hope this helps!

/ New TZ25DA #3  
JagAlfaOwner said:
The levers for the PTO Selection are very hard to push or pull, sometimes I have to start it and rev it like a standard transmission to get the gears to line up? Is this normal or should it be reported for service?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I know most of what I have read the tractor are the next size up. Any thoughts or recommendations are great!

Thanks

Al

Don't know if your PTO problem is similiar to to what mine was, but engaging the rear PTO on my new TC33DA was a booger; I stopped by dealer's one day for parts, and walked into service managers office to get his opinion. He explained that this is pretty common on the Boomer series, and the PTO lever linkage, bushings, etc. need to be lubricated. I was more than a little skeptical, and it showed on my face; service mgr. chuckled, and said to bring it by, or when a mechanic was passing by my place, they could take care of it.
I purchased a can of spray lubricant, the kind that goes on dry, and has Teflon in it. As I proceeded to spray everything that looked like it might need to be slicked up, I was also thinking that I'd just as soon load the mechine, cause lubrication wasn't going to solve this problem. Imagine my big surprise, when after working the lever back and forth a couple of times, it loosened up so smooth, I couldn't beleive it. Had to apoligize to service mgr. when I went back.
70+ hours later, and still like silk to the touch.

/ New TZ25DA #4  
Al,

Not sure what climate you live, but since you plan to plow snow I'll assume it gets cold. I have the previous model to Mega's, TC24D and like him use whatever is at the pump for fuel. Around here it goes down to less than -30 F occassionally during the winter, so fuel at the pump has the winter additives usually around November. The only catch is don't get caught with summer fuel in your tank or storage container and forget about it. That you will want to add conditioner on your own.

My machine has about 340 hrs at 3 years old (1 more payment!!!), and both PTO levers, as well as the hi-N-lo lever, still takes a little playing to get it to settle into gear. The levers themselves are not stiff, but the gearing is tight and I just have to find the sweet spot.

The other thing that binds on mine is the diffy lock foot lever. It is a simple rod that goes into the transmission case. Where it enters, the dealer told me to hit it with some WD-40, works like a charm.

Not sure what tires you have, but I use turfs year round and find that chains on the rear are a big help in the winter.

If you think it whines now, wait till winter. It will cry. Be sure to let it warm up in the winter, it goes away after while. But there is alway some whine year round, I think my neighbor's old Bota whines more.

I listed some other observations I have made in http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-owning-operating/80409-tc-24d-lessons-field.html

Some may be specific to my model, others you might find useful.

Enjoy your new machine.

Brad

/ New TZ25DA
Great advice, thanks for all the input. I got my blade on today. I removed the mower deck for clearance. Awesome! I am not real good at it, but it is better than a pick and shovel. Now it is more than an expensive Lawn Mower. A few observations and thoughts:
1) The horse power seems to be plenty. I seemed to move more dirt in Hi than Lo. I do not know how to make it level so I will rake it out but at least the dirt is loose.
2) I got fuel today, 45 Cetane and the book only requires 40. I do not know where to get the Tax free. I thought diesel was grey in color, the BP I bought was clear.
3) Any tricks for putting the mower back on, it is heavy! I saw a grease fitting way up and I think the only way to get to it is with the mower off, so I need to remember to grease it before I put it back on.
4) Do I remove the mower deck to get to both lower filters for my 50 and 300 hour changes? I read about removing the wheel to get to the fuel filter.

I looked over my neighbors JD 21 HP. Wow, no rear PTO installed, no 3 PT on the rear. They can be added, are they options? It is a pain to clean my front grill but at least I can get to it! The mower deck looked thinner. Makes me thank full for trying and reading about them all and going with the New Holland.

Thanks to all again.

Al

/ New TZ25DA #6  
I have the best results smoothing dirt with a rear blade by either reversing the blade and dragging it, or lowering the blade and pushing it backwards. You may also want to try and adjust the length of your top-link as well. If you are doing a lot of dirt work, consider getting a box blade.

As far as the filters go, I would imagine that it would much easier to service/inspect everything without the mower on.

Having the larger frame tractor and no mid-mower, I can't give you advice on mounting/dismounting the mower. However, as with anything else, the more you do it the quicker/easier you will be able to do it.

/ New TZ25DA
Thanks. I am going to buy the filters from New Holland. I am thinking of using the Amsoil Synthetic for the Motor Oil. I have read a lot in this forum on that. Where it needs 80-90 W I am going with Castrol, same as I use in my cars. The Hydralic oil I am on the fence, but I have 40 more hours. I will speak to my dealer.

My wife used it yesterday, tilted the blade as far as it would go and dug ditches for the drain pipe from the house. She tilted it and drove the length about 20 times and now I have a nice ditch to bury the black pipe. I may never get to use the tractor again though.

I need to have fabricated some metal bars bent to attach to the blade for snow. I need to keep the blade from scraping my drive way and I cannot afford a snow blower.

I am going to order the Mower Stand now. It takes up a lot of space in my garage. I cannot fit the small Carftsman mower with the tractor on MY side of the garage with the mower deck on the floor. The car stays outside.

Thanks

Al

Thanks

Al

/ New TZ25DA #8  
Al,

Which mower do you have? Interested in the mower stand, I haven't seen one compatible with my 914A, but I haven't looked lately either.

If you have the 60" 914A, you will have your hands full if you don't have a FEL to move it around, mine weighs almost 500 lbs.

My 50 hour was thrown in as a house-call by the dealer as part of the sale. The manual calls for changing the engine oil only, and all the filters, and that is what they did. I did change the hydraulic oil at the 300 hr service, did that myself. I think you have about 290 hrs before you need to do it, but no one has ever ruined a machine by changing the oil more frequently than necessary. Whatever you feel like doing.

My TC-24D does not take any gear oil, the only thing I have where I would use the heavy gear oil is on the gear box for the mower deck. Everything else, including the front axle, uses the hydro oil.

Two tricks for snow with the blade - reverse the blade like Mega said, and if you have tilt, pull the pin to let it float with the side-to-side contours. I am also going to be putting some shoes on mine for the winter.

Brad

/ New TZ25DA #9  
JagAlfaOwner said:
My wife used it yesterday, tilted the blade as far as it would go and dug ditches for the drain pipe from the house. She tilted it and drove the length about 20 times and now I have a nice ditch to bury the black pipe. I may never get to use the tractor again though.

Ha, ha! Hey Al, send her over to my place, I have some work to be done. I can't even get my wife to sit on the tractor!

/ New TZ25DA
Update .... I ordered a Mower Stand. I took the mower deck off for better clerance with the blade.. I sent a check last Monday and received it today. It works great, a real space saver.

Also, when I start it cold, the valves tap for several seconds. Should I be concerned. I do a lot of 3 and 5 minute runs with it. I guess stop and go for a tractor. I cannot just keep it running due to the seat shut off. I now have 19 hours on it and counting...

Thanks for all the input. If you ever take your deck off these stand save a lot of storage space!

Al