PTO light....won't start

/ PTO light....won't start #1  

daffyduk

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC 40D, JD 630
That's about it.........TC 40D....I shut off the tractor to unhook the disk and when I tried to start it again, the PTO light was on and the PTO lever was in the full off position. I thought I had disconnected the little button switch underneath but it was connected and when I tested it, it was working fine. The tractor is setting out tonight (first time ever). Any ideas where I might go from here. Tractor has about 600 hr. and has never had a major problem and has never had this problem. I don't think he will melt out there but he seemed scared when I left him out there in the dark.
Thanks,
Gene

/ PTO light....won't start #2  
Do ya have a mid pto?

Soundguy

/ PTO light....won't start #3  
Step 1: Remove instrument panel by removing two screws and lifting the panel out of the dash.

Step 2: Pull fuse #2 on the left side of the dash panel opening.

Step 3: Replace with 10 amp fuse (you removed an 8 amp, but 10 amp is better).

Step 4: Replace instrument panel and screws

Step 5: Start tractor...say, "Dang! That was easy.":rolleyes:

:D :D :D

/ PTO light....won't start #4  
Check for blown fuse under instrument cluster, maybe #4. Good luck, Frank

/ PTO light....won't start
Dang, Jinman........you da man. Dealer told me yesterday that if it was not the safety switch on the linkage that it had to be the relay. I replaced the relay (outside in the grass, heavy drizzle, three hundred yards from the barn........) and there was no change except more frustration. Then....along comes Jinman, ten minuites, dang, thank you very much.
TBN and Jinman does it again,
Gene

/ PTO light....won't start #6  
Gene, I'm thrilled I could help you.:) I just happened to be the first one to respond to your post. There are 8-10 of us here who have had the identical problem, some more than once. The key is that the tractor won't start and the PTO light is on. You described the symptoms perfectly and that's why I could be so certain the problem was fuse #2. If I had not responded, many others would have.

I AM sorry your dealer sent you on a wild goose chase with the relay. You'd think a dealer or his service manager would be on top of this problem.

Hey! Next time someone posts about this, you'll get to be the guy who comes up with the solution. Pass it on...:)

/ PTO light....won't start #7  
Jinman touched on a good point. Dealer service people can be frustrating when they give out bad info... ( and equally life saving when they give out good info. )

Luckilly my local CNH dealer has a great service manager. I've recieved telephone tech support while broke down in a field miles from my house, with no transportation.. and iffy cell service. Lucky for me I had some tools, and that the service manager knew what to tell me to do to get it going...

thank goodness for the good aprts counter people.. and service people.

soundguy