New Holland TC40D

/ New Holland TC40D #1  

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have just purchased a new TC40D. I have put 30 hours over the last 30 days on it. It seems you have to muscle it to put it into gears ( I or II). It is the same going from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. Is this normal?

This is my first tractor so any help would be appreciated. I came across this site when I was researching tractors. I have already learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks,

Wally

/ New Holland TC40D #2  
602466 said:
I have just purchased a new TC40D. I have put 30 hours over the last 30 days on it. It seems you have to muscle it to put it into gears ( I or II). It is the same going from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. Is this normal?

Yes its normal, but a gentle tap on the "go pedals" (HST pedals), either forward or reverse, will let those two levers do their job without muscle.

/ New Holland TC40D #3  
602466 said:
I am new to this so please bear with me.

This is my first tractor so any help would be appreciated. I came across this site when I was researching tractors. I have already learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks,

Wally

I think you're really going to like that 40D. Welcome to TBN.

/ New Holland TC40D #4  
Tapping lightly on the FWD or REV HST pedal will help you engage your Range I or II as Chris (DocHeb) said. This is common for any size or brand of tractor. As you get used to the tractor, this will be second nature.

If you have a FEL, putting the bucket on the ground and raising the wheels slightly will make shifting into and out of 4WD easy. Also, if you move the steering wheel left and right while moving forward slowly, that may make it easier. The problem is called "driveline wind-up" and is caused by tension between the front differential and the transmission. Relieving the tension will allow easy shifting.

As PineRidge said, congratulations on your tractor purchase. We hope to see you back in these forums often.:)

/ New Holland TC40D #5  
Nice tractor, enjoy.
Bob

/ New Holland TC40D
Thanks for the reply!

As I said, I am learning from all you!

Wally

/ New Holland TC40D #7  
Howdy all,
Yes, you will love your TC40 ! It's just a joy to use!

I too learned that you have to gently use the FWD and REV pedals to shift gears smoothly. I listen for the "whine" that the Hydro makes, and usually shift by ear so to speak.

Jinman, thanks for the advice on the 4wd, I hadn't yet gotten a good technique for that one.

/ New Holland TC40D #8  
What has always worked for me to get the tractor out of 4wd is to simply, and somewhat abruptly (but not so much as to tear up your turf/soil, etc) let up on the forward pedal at the same time as moving the shift from 4wd to 2wd. On occasion, I've had to do it a second time or so, but very rarely. As others have noted, the idea is to get the drivetrain gears unloaded, which occurs instantly when you let up on the pedal but the momentum of the weight of the tractor is still pushing it forward.

/ New Holland TC40D #9  
I put mine in 4wd 4 years ago ....... maybe the next time I'm on it I'll see how difficult it is to move .....:eek:

/ New Holland TC40D #10  
I don't think I've manually moved the 4WD lever on our Boomer 6 times in the past years, With SensiTrak 4WD is applied automatically whenever it's needed. It's a pretty cool feature that saves wear and tear on the drive-line. :cool: