For those with Starting Problem

/ For those with Starting Problem #21  
This sounds almost the the "DX33 Starting Problem" post so I thought I would post my reply here too. I went to my Dealer yesterday and asked about the Service Bulletin mike10 mentioned and they printed the page off for me. The "Root Cause" on it says " Insufficient voltage at the starter solenoid to extend starter pinion as well as close contacts between the starter motor and battery".

These are the CIH part numbers listed in the bulletin:

1 30A Relay 86529089
1 Relay Base 245731C1
4 Terminal 225077C1

It says to procure the following items locally: ring style connector, 14 gauge wire & female spade connector.

I was just going to replace the switch but decided to do this too, then maybe I will not have to deal with this "no crank" problem again.

Hope this is helpfull.

Ron

/ For those with Starting Problem #22  
Radiopoor said:
This sounds almost the the "DX33 Starting Problem" post so I thought I would post my reply here too. I went to my Dealer yesterday and asked about the Service Bulletin mike10 mentioned and they printed the page off for me. The "Root Cause" on it says " Insufficient voltage at the starter solenoid to extend starter pinion as well as close contacts between the starter motor and battery".

These are the CIH part numbers listed in the bulletin:

1 30A Relay 86529089
1 Relay Base 245731C1
4 Terminal 225077C1

It says to procure the following items locally: ring style connector, 14 gauge wire & female spade connector.

I was just going to replace the switch but decided to do this too, then maybe I will not have to deal with this "no crank" problem again.

Hope this is helpfull.

Ron

this is a real common problem, especially on machines that run the starter trigger wire through a heap of safety switches before it reches the starter. as you point out, the easiest fix is to fit a relay to the trigger wire. i have done it to many machines over the years. fix the starter switch first. if that doesnt work put a relay in there. the prob is low voltage to the solinoid. well spotted

/ For those with Starting Problem #23  
Radiopoor said:

Does the bulletin have a specific title or reference number?

/ For those with Starting Problem #25  
Is that why I have to keep a battery tender in my 1520? Or maybe cause the battery is oem from 2010 duh...

/ For those with Starting Problem #26  
Thanks for info, but do both reds go together?

NO. Read further back through the thread and see what the switch wiring is.

Is that why I have to keep a battery tender in my 1520? Or maybe cause the battery is oem from 2010 duh...

Test specific gravity with a auto store tester on each cell, and see if it meets specs. Also see if each cell is topped up to split ring with water, NEVER acid. You can also have it load tested AFTER it is fully charged then sits at least an hour before testing. If it fails load or specific gravity or both, toss it.

/ For those with Starting Problem #27  
I have a used New Holland Workmaster 35. I've only had it a couple of months. Went to crank it up, got the glow plug light, it went out, then turned the switch....nothing. Tapped on the solenoid, tried to start it again...nothing. Tapped on the starter, hit the switch and it fired up.

Next day, same thing... so I got looking for a starter. Napa says bring in your old one to match up....so I went about the duty of disconnecting the negative post on the battery, then went to work on the starter. Since I have a loader....guess what. Cant get the starter out without dropping the loader AND the loader mounts that bolt to the frame.... 1/8" from rolling the starter out.

So, I called and decided to just have the dealer change it out.

I put it all back together and realized that the cable on the negative post was not securely fastened. Out come the tools... Well I fixed that, then put the cable back on the negative battery post. I thought....if the dealer is coming to pick this up, maybe there is one start left in this old starter. I'll move it around to the front and drop the bucket and brush mower.

Got the glow plug light, turned the switch and it sounded like it started faster. I used it for a few hours, took a break and it started up again. A few hours later... again it started.

I called a buddy who is a wiz at this type of electrical thing and he is suggesting that it was just an anomaly, that there was enough good contact to do everything but turn the starter over. Just keep an eye out. He's suggesting that since I dont know the history of the tractor, it is his opinion that the contact was just loose at the battery post.