Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

Default hydrolic whine

why do the whine? what makes them whine...

my FEL hydrolics whine a LOT expecially when "cold" .... even at decent engine speeds 1500-2K rpm

the HST only whines when in high gear (range 3)
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: hydrolic whine

Quote Originally Posted by schmism
    why do the whine? what makes them whine...

my FEL hydrolics whine a LOT expecially when "cold" .... even at decent engine speeds 1500-2K rpm

the HST only whines when in high gear (range 3)
    The culprit is vibration caused/induced by the flow of oil. If you wrap all your FEL's hydraulic lines in foam, it would probably reduce the noise. You might get lucky and be able to put some foam where lines touch each other or the metal structure of the loader. My NH loader is quiet as can be, but your loader and plumbing are only going to be as good as the dealer who installed the after-market loader.

HSTs are also prone to vibration and it radiates out through the engine casting that seems to amplify the sound. In my opinion, silencing one of them will be a lot harder than making your FEL a little quieter.
    Jim

Tractor
    TC29D

My TC29d (HST) use to whine in HI gear until I did the 600hr hydro-trans fluid and filter change. I use OEM New Holland filters and Multi G 134 fluid. Now the hydraulics and transmission are almost silent. I figured the older fluid had moisture in it but it looked clear and clean when I drained it.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

From comments on a thread I posted after my 600 hr service, it seems Kubotas larger than my BX are supposed to get a filter change at 200hr and oil and filter at 400hr rather than both at 300he. I just changed the filter at 800hr (200 interval) and it quieted back down to normal.