TC45 service question

/ TC45 service question #1  

h10doc

Bronze Member
Tractor
Tc45D
Its time for my TC45's 300 hr check up the dealer told me don't worry about changing the front dif. oil if it hasn't been in alot of mud are water. What do ya'll think?

/ TC45 service question #3  
Change it. Cheap and easy to do. No harm if you do it earlier than needed.
Bob

/ TC45 service question #4  
Doc_Bob said:
Change it. Cheap and easy to do. No harm if you do it earlier than needed.
Bob

I have to agree there. So little dollars for piece of mind.

/ TC45 service question #5  
h10doc said:
Its time for my TC45's 300 hr check up the dealer told me don't worry about changing the front dif. oil if it hasn't been in alot of mud are water. What do ya'll think?

I think you will get a lot of advice, but very few people will tell you that they have done the job themselves as the manual says to do, me included :eek: (RickB being the exception because he used to be a NH technician). Changing the oil in the differential and front drop boxes at the wheels is a pain in the behind.

To change oil in the differential, you have to make sure the tractor is level and then open the drain plug on the bottom of the differential. After the fluid is drained, replace the plug and fill thru the dipstick hole on the top-left axle housing. Fill slowly and check often to keep from overfilling. Draining out the excess is hard to do and messy. Also, make sure you get enough into the differential because you don't want it to run dry.

Now, you are 1/3 done! You have to drain each drop-box reduction gear at the wheels. To do this, you will have to remove each wheel to remove the drain plug. Replace the plug and remove the fill plug at the top to fill the reservoir with approximately 1/4 qt of fluid. Fill until oil is visible at the bottom of the fill hole.

Repeat for the right wheel.

Now you are done. How does the oil look? If you think it looks okay, then you can reasonably decide if your dealer was right or if you need to change the fluid at each 300 hr interval. You need to make that decision based on what you see for yourself. My fluid was clean, so I just checked it at 600/900 hours. Now, I'm coming up on 1200 hours and I will probably change it again. I have made a practice of checking the fluid and its color at the regular intervals.

One other thing, if you see any seepage or dirt collecting on your wheels, you might have a seal leak problem. Otherwise, your fluid level will remain pretty constant for a long time. That's my experience on my TC45D.:)

/ TC45 service question #6  
jinman said:
I think you will get a lot of advice, but very few people will tell you that they have done the job themselves as the manual says to do, me included :eek: (RickB being the exception because he used to be a NH technician). Changing the oil in the differential and front drop boxes at the wheels is a pain in the behind.

:)

You are correct. I have not done it on a TC. My only time has been with a TN70A. It was very very easy with the TN, so that is why I suggested doing it.
Bob

/ TC45 service question
Thanks for the input i'm going to change the fluid this week.

/ TC45 service question #8  
jinman said:
I
Now, you are 1/3 done! You have to drain each drop-box reduction gear at the wheels. To do this, you will have to remove each wheel to remove the drain plug. Replace the plug and remove the fill plug at the top to fill the reservoir with approximately 1/4 qt of fluid. Fill until oil is visible at the bottom of the fill hole.

Any idea why Ford/NH kept bouncing back and forth between common and closed sump tractors. I guess I've lucked out...of my newer units.. the 5000, 1920, and the 7610s.. all common sump.. But watch out when draining the 2 big ones... got to have a few drain buckets ready! Gotta love that 1 gallon hyd oil filter on the 7610s...

Soundguy

/ TC45 service question #9  
per Jim Inman:
To change oil in the differential, you have to make sure the tractor is level and then open the drain plug on the bottom of the differential. After the fluid is drained, replace the plug and fill thru the dipstick hole on the top-left axle housing. Fill slowly and check often to keep from overfilling. Draining out the excess is hard to do and messy. Also, make sure you get enough into the differential because you don't want it to run dry.

This is a place where having an overflow hole, besides the dipstick, would help. Since the dipstick goes in the fill hole, there's a lot of back-and-forth to get the level right. Jim's right - you want it at the correct level.
Also, I found filling the drop gearboxes just as much trouble - you'd almost want some kind of pneumatic dispenser like at a service station.
So the lube change is not simple, but it is necessary, and doesn't take all that long.
Jim

/ TC45 service question #10  
I just checked my maintenance schedule, It lists the front differential at 300 Hrs same as with the transmission... Mine is a TZ25 and I guess it is different. I loosen the drain from near each wheel hub, allow to drain and refill from the top suing hydralic fluid. Seems simple. Wanted to note the change frequency.

Al