Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2 NH 1620(95, 96), MF 1020, JD B

Default Re: TN65 hydraulic issues

I had simular problem with my 1620. I was in the woods and a limb hit my filter and put a dent in it. The FEL would go up but was jerky and noisy. I found the dent in the filter, replaced it and problem dissapeared. I also used an after market filter with caused simular problems.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 , New Holland TN75D, Hitachi UH083LC Excavator

I had a similar problem on my TN. Turned out one of the loader quick connects was partially off.

Andy

Bronze Member

put new oil filter on. started engine for 2 minutes. no pressure to 3PH or FEL. PTO spins the bushog immediately even though other two items dont work.
    I have thecked quick connects on FEL a couple of times cause I have had one that was hard to latch. The first time I dismounted the FEL I took Metal letter punches and Punched TL, BL, TR, BR on the steel fittings BEFORE I removed them. Made sure they would go back right!
    I guess This weekend I will start pulling the sheet metal off and look for an air leak. check all fittings. Not loosing oil so has to be on suction side.....

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I would be surprised if it is something major, all most every time this occurs it ends up being something simple. You said this started after you replaced the leaking hose correct? If so then unless you did something else your problem almost certainly is related to the hose you replaced. Either you loosened a connection on an adjacent fitting or didn't remember to tighten something. Sometimes the problem is staring you in the face but you "think" it isn't the problem because you already checked it. It has happened to me a couple times where the thing I think is the problem I check first but don't pay close enough attention and it ends up costing me a lot more just to find out the first thing I checked was the problem. Good luck to you though as I know how frustrating this is.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Bronze Member

well the mystery is solved. I dropped the FEL and bushog and parked it ready for a long search. I found both mounting "Ears" on the filter bracket were broken off. I'll braze them back on in a couple weeks. There is a metal tube about 2" that runs from the rear housing forward to supply oil to the hydro pump. the is a rubber connector from this pipe to the pump. Found a slit in it just like someone stabbed it with a knife though I am sure it happened while working. Obviously was sucking air big time. I ordered a new one but in the meantime used a piece of radiator hose. Everything worked right off the bat and the FEL doesn't have the hesitation going up like before.
    I'm not impressed with the way NH puts things together but oh well. When I pull it apart to install the original part I will change all the o-rings too to eliminate and possibility of sucking air there too.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Glad to hear you found the problem. I have not heard of the ears breaking on the filter before but you did say the old one was dented so I wonder if a stick came up and hit it just right to dent the filter and break the ears. Next time I crawl under my TN I will take a look at these spots to see how they look as I drive my TN right thru thick brush and trees when I am clearing the power lines.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid
    I found both mounting "Ears" on the filter bracket were broken off.
    Post a picture. Would love to see it.
    Bob

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I'd love to see it too.

And yes.. NH engineers LOVE to put sensitive parts in places that anything under the tractor will hit them. Like running unshielded wires that will completely disable the tractor.. right under the tractor.. when they KNOW we will be running our tractor in brush and weeds..

If the engineers had to come out to the woods and the mud and re-attach those loose wires every time a tractor broke down, I bet the next thing they designed would be better protection for the wireing.. or alternate routeing.

Soundguy

Soundguy

Bronze Member

I picked up the new connector hos this weekend. when I install it I will take pics. gonna braze the ear brackets back on at the same time.

I am in the florida panhandle and when I get to bushoggin anything can happen. I go by the rule If the front loader and tractor can push it over the bushog can chew it up. Ares that have been previously cut are no biggie but every year I go into areas with lots of titi. Yes I always have at least half a dozen shear bolts on hand for the bushog. those hidden stumps are tough!
    A lot of problems come from trees and junk that come up into the tractor to do their nasty work. I really need to replace a number of items. LOL steps aare gone on both sides. had to sut them off because "Brush" suashed them and push them into tires. Rear full tank strap was ripped off. Naturally the sending wire for the fuel guage got wasted. Last week I brushed by a dead tree about 8" in diameter and the top broke off and dropped across the "Dash" panel. Instrument cluster is okay but the plastic shattered. 6 years of florida sun made it brittle. This is my frist tractor and I have gotten a lot better with it. Haven't brushed the house with the FEL in 5 years. heh heh heh

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Ahh yes.. brush battles.

Yep.. most of us have a habbit oc cutting anything we can get the front axle to push over.

Ditto on steps. When i got my ford 5000, that was one of my welding projects... to bend the steps back into position and weld up the brackets and floor boards.. etc.

Soundguy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast