TN65 hydraulic issues

/ TN65 hydraulic issues #1  

gsxrsquid

Bronze Member
Hi folks I am new to this site. I have a 2000 with about 400 original hours on it. I bought it new in 2000. I use it 90% of the time with the Howse 6' bushog or 2446 FEL. The rest of the time is discing or box blading.
Now I am the first to admit I have asked this machine to do more than it was designed to do. There have been a lot of qaulity issues but overall I have been happy with it. I have changed oil and all filters a couple of times. Recently I drained and changed the transmission oil. Then I had to change a leaking hydro line on the FEL. Since then the hydraulic system has a loud whine, louder at idle than at speed. It takes several minutes before the FEL will operate. I have loosened the bleed on the pump and get foamy oil. I loosened the high pressure fitting on the valve body for the FEL and bled oil.
Eventually the system will pump up and work but still whine.
This weekend I am going to my dealer and buy oil and fluid and change it again. Last time I used the dipstick, this time i will measure it in.
I thought the cylinders of FEL might have air and trid to bleed them quite a mess but no luck. Any help is appreciated. Dennis

/ TN65 hydraulic issues #2  
Sounds to me that there is either not enough hydraulic oil in the case, a piched line some wheres, clogged screen, a restriction of some sort, causing pump sucking air somehow.. Look if the filter is on good...

If everything is tight, it wouldn't matter if air is in the cylinders as the pump would get rid of it. I replaced 2 cylinder packs on my FEL and the air was gone within 10 seconds in both of the zylinders. Foam or bubbels in the oil says that the pump is sucking air somehow.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues #3  
gsxrsquid said:
I thought the cylinders of FEL might have air and trid to bleed them quite a mess but no luck. Any help is appreciated. Dennis
The FEL will self bleed. All you have to do is to raise it to the max and lower it without going into float a few times and all the air will be pushed out. Do the same with the bucket curl/dump.

If your oil is foaming then you most likely have an air leak somewhere. Probably time for a dealer visit.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues
I think you guys are right I must have an air leak cause the level is up to snuff.
I put a new filter on. I have a new filter I will put on and then check the lines. I appreciate the advice. I'll post what I find

/ TN65 hydraulic issues #5  
Dennis, is it just the FEL that is slow to operate or is the 3PH slow too? If the hydraulic pump is failing or sucking air, then both the FEL and 3PH should be affected.

Also, is this an overnight shutdown thing that might be from fluid draining out of the system and back to the sump? Does the air get into the system if you shut down for a few minutes, or does it take longer? Did this problem start suddenly when you changed the busted hose, but it was fine before?

I know...too many questions. I'm just trying to narrow down the symptoms.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues
I had changed Hydraulic oil and filter prior to the FEL hose leaking. It ran fine. I noticed the hose leaking a couple weeks later and replaced it. After replacing the hose the bucket raise was jerky going up (the hose that was replaced) but okay going down. tilt was still smooth. I shut it down and the next time I used it was about a week later. let it warm up and when I went to raise the bucket nothing at all. No tilt either. hmmmmm. checked fluid and noticed foaming. I bled at the pump but continued to get air. I removed the hydraulic filter and checked seal and made sure it was tight. Eventually the system primed and the FEL worked. When I went back the next day had the same experience. I hooked up my bushog and had PTO power. a few minutes later the FEL primed too. I ran it for a couple hours. FEL jerky going up smooth down tilt smooth. shut it down for about half an hour and when I came baqck had to go through re-prime period. I Am sure the other guys are right about sucking air. I just have to figure where. Curious why it started suddenly the same time the FEL hose sprang a leak. also wonder why the FEL is jerky going up.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues
Oh, BTW Jinman, yes the 3PH is slow to come up too.
when it works the FEL works when the FEL is not working either is the 3PH.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues #8  
It is smooth going down because it is using gravity to push it down and not the pump. I had the same problem on a 1920 and it ended up being the oil filter. The dealer gave me a filter for the 1920 but it was the wrong version as there are a couple filters for the 1920. Replaced it and all is well in the world. It was the exact same conditions as you described. I would check the hose you replaced as that is what started your problems. Check to make sure all the fittings are good and there are no leaks.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues #9  
As Robert suggested, I think I'd take the hose off and check to see it isn't plugged or restricted. Also, did you use teflon tape on the threads when you replaced the hose? Is there a possibility a piece of that or other trash go into the system and is clogging an orifice?

...just some ideas of things to look for.

/ TN65 hydraulic issues
No teflon tape. The hose is clear and has good flow of fluid. the oil filter is dented bt not punctured so I will check that tonight when I get off work.
I have already knocked the oil filter bracket clean off the tractor once. big limb came up busted it off. Dumped all the fluid in a matter of seconds. Had to fix it there in the woods with th bugs eating me lying in a pool of hydraulic mud. lol