Govenor Adjustment

/ Govenor Adjustment #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
Today I was removing some brush and small trees with my 1900 and had a branch come up and open the throttle wide open. I pushed in the clutch and shoved the hand throttle up to kill to engine. To my horror it didn't do slow down. I looked at the tac. and it was at 3000 rpm (sounded like 5000).I put it in reverse and got it away from the branch and it died. I thought I blew it up, then I realized I had pushed the hand throttle all the way up when this all started. I pulled the hand throttle back and it fired right up (Thank God). PTO rpm is 2450 and I never run it any higher than that. What I would like to do is lower the govenor rpm to about 2600. When the engine was at 3000 it sounded like it was going to fly apart. Can this be easily done and can you think of any reasons no to do it. By the way the manual says max rpm is 2950.
Thanks for any ideas
Bill

/ Govenor Adjustment #2  
Hooked_on_HP said:
By the way the manual says max rpm is 2950.
Thanks for any ideas
Bill

Leave it alone.
Bob

/ Govenor Adjustment #3  
With the elections coming up I thought this was going to be a political post.

/ Govenor Adjustment #4  
I think what happened to you was just a fluke; a small accident with brush. The chances of that happening again are very slim. I would not try to change the governor. Engines can exceed maximum rpm, but not for sustained long periods. I think from your description, everything worked. As Doc Bob suggested, I'd just leave it set where it is.

/ Govenor Adjustment #5  
i concur. Leave your governor alone. Dinking with it may effect it's ability to provide power when she starts to lug, unless you know what you are doing.

If anything.. build a shroud around the injection pump. A second of redline won't make much difference to the engine..

Soundguy

/ Govenor Adjustment #6  
I too think that this is one of those rare cases where if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

/ Govenor Adjustment #7  
i dounbt the engine was over reved, just holding the throttle flat will not do it, to reach a over rev situation, something inside the injector pump must go badly wrong (it is very interesting when it does to because they literaly run away RPM wise, with out to many options to stop the thing.) lots of engines are run at rated (max) rpm all of there life and they still last well. dont worry about it and leave the thing alone. by the way it is not unusual to have a engine rev slightly over the stated max rpm. an extra 50 rpm is neither here nor there. i have had new tractors that where 400 rpm over max (we check these things before they leave the dealership on new machines). now they did sound like something was about to go pop. slight adjustments required.