Oil & Fuel TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate?

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #1  

gsxrsquid

Bronze Member
Well I scrapped my second fuel tank today. All things considered I can;t complain. The rear support had been torn loose, the plate bent under and backwards for the past year draggin the strap. I was pushing over some titi and bush hogging it today when I smell fuel. hmmmmm. I have had the brush actually pull the fuel line off the tank before so I shut her down and get off to look. The front of the tank was smashed and the strap had cut into the poly and fuel was pouring out. crap. I jumped on and raced back up to the house. jumped off and got a bucket to catch fuel. Actually saved about half of it, five gallons. I had half a tank on the guage when I headed for the house and a quarter tank a couple minutes later.
I pulled the fenders, seat and deck plates. tomorrow I am going to hit it with the pressure washer and lube all the grease fittings. When I get the new tank installed I am going to look into buying ot fabricating a skid plate. **** the way I use it I should just put a skid plate under the whole tractor. LOL

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #2  
the location of that tank is one of the reasons I ended up with a TC45 instead of a TN55 .....I knew I'd be destroying it on a regular basis.

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #3  
Yowwww...I better check the bottom of my fuel tank on my TN65. Although, I mostly do haying, so I don't into situations where a stump or log could puncture the tank.

But....if you do come up with some type of guard to protect the tank, please let us know. A welder could probably fabricate a nice steel plate that you could attach with bolts and nuts.

Good luck...

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #4  
gsxrsquid said:
When I get the new tank installed I am going to look into buying ot fabricating a skid plate. **** the way I use it I should just put a skid plate under the whole tractor. LOL

My TN70A comes with the optional "fuel tank guard". This option is a big metal box that goes undeneath the fuel tank. Item number 720131000. Bascially it is a skid plate for the fuel tank.
Bob

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #5  
Geeeeeeeze.........what an oversight on New Holland's part. All those TN's should come with the fuel tank guard Doc Bob!

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #6  
IH3444 said:
Geeeeeeeze.........what an oversight on New Holland's part. All those TN's should come with the fuel tank guard Doc Bob!

I agree. My was purchased used, so I am just lucky it came with one.
Bob

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate?
This is my second fuel tank. Both times the damage has some not from the "Debris" puncturing the tank but from the front metal strap slicing it. This time the front of the poly tank is squashed back and the strap actually bent and trapped in the tank. (maybe I'll post a pic this weekend) I was thinking of trying to use air pressure to expand the tank but the leak is so bad I doubt if it would work. I think I need to wrap the support strap with someting to protect the tank from the sharp edges. 330 bucks for a new one!!!!!! Three years ago I bought one for about 70 bucks. Should have gotten a couple. LOL

On the factory parts list I notice some part that look like they are tank plates but mine didnt have it. And the tank has nuts molded in. hmmmmmmmm

And one time, though I have not found it again I noticed the TN65 had a tank available that mounted behind the seat. Now THAT would be ideal. I guess I'll look into that option.

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #8  
The tank that was behind the seat was also part of the tank that went under the tractor, it just moved the fill spout up and added more capacity.

Did you buy your tractor new? I have a plate protecting my tank and have never had a problem with the tank. My TN 65 has over 1000 hours now and it has been used to clear old grape fields with lots of wire, chopping a lot of overgrown brush and basically just abused more then it should have been at times. I have knocked the shifting linkage apart a few times and lost a few pins but never have I had any major problem.

There are a few different tank plates for the TN65. Go to New Hollands site and browse thru them to see which one lines up with your tank setup or go talk to your dealer about it as I have no idea what the price is. They are in Engine Equipment section under the TN65 on the parts program New Hollands site has. One of the Fuel tank plates is part number 5186174 which might help you find the right location if you have trouble locating it. https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate?
hey Robert. I saw the different plates on the Messick catalog. I bought my tractor new but didnt have a skid plate for some reason. hmmmmmm
I figured that high tank was just basically a pony tank. too bad cause I would love to protect mine better. I admit it is my fault because I use the FEL to knockover the heavy stuff, occasionally 6" or bigger and the bush hog to slice and dice. Sometimes though in the excitement (and who will say wreaking havoc on the woods isn;t exciting!) a root ball will tip over and cause some damage. Also short pieces of timber even just a couple inches in diameter have been know to tear stuff up if hit just right (wrong). I'll have to take some pics when i work on it again.

/ TN65, is there a fuel tank skid plate? #10  
Fuel tank shield is an option when the tractor is ordered new. Some units had it ordered, others did not.

Since yours didn't come with it, there was no malice intended, and you weren't "shorted" anything. Just whoever placed the order for your unit did not add that option.