Oil & Fuel TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #1  

erosol

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
I was bush hogging today and notice an oil leak on the rear, below the PTO shaft. Looks like they have a small rubber bushing holding the oil in the rear end. Maybe a stick or something hit this rubber seal and now all the oil leaked out. I'm thinking of sealing it with silicon and maybe this will prevent this from happening again. I can look through this hole and see the gears inside.

Now I will have to refill with oil. Any suggestions what kind of oil to use? Thanks

Attachments

• 12-02-06_1811.jpg
    12-02-06_1811.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 12-02-06_1813.jpg
    12-02-06_1813.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 357
   / TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #2  
I would make a call to your dealer and ask about this. It may just require replacing with a new plug. I looked at breakdown of the case and did not see a plug located below pto output shaft. They show 2 above the shaft. The hydro units use a common sump for the oil. 134 I think.

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #3  
Kind of hard to tell from the pictures. Is it just a hole with a rubber plug in it? If so you could replace the rubber plug with a brass frost plug.

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking
Here are some better pictures today. It's a 5/8 (0.625) hole. I think they should have put in a steel plug, like a freeze plug type, not a rubber one.

Attachments

• 12-03-06_1024.jpg
    12-03-06_1024.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 413
  • 12-03-06_1025.jpg
    12-03-06_1025.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 309
   / TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #5  
I don't have a definitive answer about what that plug is for, but I think many times there are countershafts mounted inside the casing and the plugs may be pressed into place after assembly of the gear shafts into the casing. I would do just exactly as Dqdave suggested and get in touch with my dealer's service manager. I'd bet there is a simple plug or procedure to fix your problem before it turns into something much more serious due to leaking all your hydraulic oil out of the sump.

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #6  
dqdave1 said:
I would make a call to your dealer and ask about this. It may just require replacing with a new plug. I looked at breakdown of the case and did not see a plug located below pto output shaft. They show 2 above the shaft. The hydro units use a common sump for the oil. 134 I think.

The two lower plugs are shown in figure 07D01 Rear Transmission Case & Shifter. The a ref 31-SBA398460390 & 35-SBA398460010. One hole is to remove the PTO shift rail. I am not sure of the other hole.

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #7  
looks like an oil passage drill way...when they machine the block they have to drill holes for oil galleys etc, usually they are sealed at the factory never ment to be opened again as its just a hole for machine work... (no moveing parts)

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking
Well, I replaced the plug and used black siliconed on the outside to prevent it from leaking and to hold the plug from coming out easy. I then had to add 5 gallons of oil. Thanks for all the advice.

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #9  
erosol said:
Well, I replaced the plug and used black siliconed on the outside to prevent it from leaking and to hold the plug from coming out easy. I then had to add 5 gallons of oil. Thanks for all the advice.

Hope you changed the filter and all the oil?
Bob

/ TC29D Rear Oil Seal Leaking #10  
Doc_Bob said:
Hope you changed the filter and all the oil?
Bob

I'm just curious, Bob. Why would you change the oil and filter just because of a leak? It seems erosol lost a little over 1/2 his hydraulic oil, but the oil was running out. I just don't understand how the oil could have become contaminated enough to need changing along with the filter.:confused: