1710 w/7108 Loader

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader #1  

souzat

Anyone have this combination? I'm having trouble with the power steering pump blowing the o-ring at the adapter on the valve going into the bottom of it. The NH dealer is attributing to flex between the PS pump (it's bolted to the engine) and the valve assemblt (it's bolted to the frame). Anybody experience the same situation or hear of this before?? I have changed the o-ring twice and after picking up a load of dirt and drive a very short distance the o-ring blowns.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader #2  
I had this exact combination back before I got my 2120 in 1987 and never had any problems. Don't remember it well enough to get more specific, except to say it was one of the most reliable tractors I ever had.

Andy

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader
Thank You. I really like this little tractor. If I can get this bug worked out I'll like it even more.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader #4  
Since the pump and fittings are able to "flex" do to one piece being attached to engine and other to the frame, you need to check both fittings for ANY wear that may cause a leak. You may be able to get an oring that is slightly larger in size ( thicker) to compensate for wear but only slightly larger. Also check the pressures on FEL with guage at disconnects. You may have a high pressure situation do to a blockage from a bend, kink etc.
Does it leak when you do a certain operation with the FEL? Say like, curl bucket it leaks or raise bucket it leaks or does it leak all the time.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader
Thanks so much for the suggestions. It doesn't leak at all after after I replace the o-ring. Everything runs good and seems to "let go" after I get a bucket load of material and drive it. The adapter does show some sign on wear so I've ordered a new one from the NH dealer. I just fixed it again with the tractor just running, I can lift and lower the bucket and TPH without any problems. I wanted to wait until after Christmas to scoop up a load and operate it and see if it let's loose again. If so, I'll try the new parts and then let everyone know how that works.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader #6  
You have checked the bolts holding the engine and frame together haven't you? If they are loose or missing, when you lift the loader with a load in the bucket it may be moving in your engine to frame area.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader #7  
Common problem if the original jumper tube is still in place between the hydraulic pump and the steering priority valve. There is a kit available that repositioned the priority valve slightly and replaced the tube with a looped hydraulic hose to allow for the inevitable front frame flex. Listed in parts under the steering section; New Holland Part Number SBA340060180 will cure your problem as I understand it. Lists for a little over $100 USD.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader
whitetiger said:
You have checked the bolts holding the engine and frame together haven't you? If they are loose or missing, when you lift the loader with a load in the bucket it may be moving in your engine to frame area.
No I haven't. But I will now. Thanks for the tip.

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader
RickB said:
Common problem if the original jumper tube is still in place between the hydraulic pump and the steering priority valve. There is a kit available that repositioned the priority valve slightly and replaced the tube with a looped hydraulic hose to allow for the inevitable front frame flex. Listed in parts under the steering section; New Holland Part Number SBA340060180 will cure your problem as I understand it. Lists for a little over $100 USD.

It has the new adapter but it still blows. Thanks anyway. I still haven't checked the bolts as the last suggested. Right now I'm about ready to take the thing in but I'm just stuborn enought to keep working at it. I know it's something really simple but I haven't found it yet. I really appreciate everyones suggestions and comments. Thanks everyone!!

/ 1710 w/7108 Loader #10  
I had the same problem a few years ago. I posted the question as you--on ssb website. RICK B. had the correct answer to this problem. Take his advice. I also asked him a couple of questions that helped me get started. Never had a problem again! Thanks again RICK B.