Max. Time for Glow Plugs

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
I own a Tz25Da that is getting difficult to start in the colder weather. On the TZ25 there is a light in the dash that stays on for 5 seconds and then goes out when you energize the glow plugs. As long as you hold the key in the glow plug position they are still energized. The New Holland manual states that in colder weather that extra time may be needed for cold weather starts but does not specify a max. time to keep plugs energized. I confirmed that I have voltage to all three glow plugs and checked the continuity after removing the brass jumper bar, everything seems to be as it should . Just looking for opinions for max. on time time so I don't fry them.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #2  
Update your profile, it really helps folks to answer any questions. Include your location.
Bob

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #3  
Morning mjonesnh.
I am going to guess and say your from the granite state???

There was thread about month an half go w/the same issues your asking...can find the thread. :(...come to find out the battery needed replacing,also advice was given almost double the time durning cold...cold weather on the glow plugs....Kubota & JD dealer made the statement..."If there a engine heater use it in extreme cold & it will save on start ups"

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #4  
Bob, I'm curious. Why would someone need that info to answer his question? He is asking what the max time to run glow plugs would be. If he lived in FL or WA it would be the same question.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #5  
on my ford 1710 theres a little coil that you can see glowing on the dash...well you can see it when the sun isnt real bright. anyway, i wait for it to get red then i start the tractor. this usually takes but a few seconds....10 maybe? i dont think that glow plugs keep getting hotter but reach their max temperature pretty quickly...i also think that heating the plugs starts to drain down your battery giving you less juice to run the starter.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #6  
mjonesnh said:
I own a Tz25Da that is getting difficult to start in the colder weather. On the TZ25 there is a light in the dash that stays on for 5 seconds and then goes out when you energize the glow plugs. As long as you hold the key in the glow plug position they are still energized. The New Holland manual states that in colder weather that extra time may be needed for cold weather starts but does not specify a max. time to keep plugs energized. I confirmed that I have voltage to all three glow plugs and checked the continuity after removing the brass jumper bar, everything seems to be as it should . Just looking for opinions for max. on time time so I don't fry them.

If I lived in the North where cold temp start ups are common place I would put a block heater in my tractor. Here in NC it's a non-issue. My 1720 lights up the glow plug dash indicator for perhaps 5 to 10 seconds and she starts right up. But that's in 40 degree weather not 20.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #7  
mjonesnh said:
Just looking for opinions for max. on time time so I don't fry them.

I beleive there is a safety stat on them so you won't burn them out. Check in your book or verify with your dealer. My 29 has this safety. But if you want to be safe do two(2) 10 or 15 second runs on your glow plugs. If that don't work go to three.

murph

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #8  
kossetx said:
Bob, I'm curious. Why would someone need that info to answer his question? He is asking what the max time to run glow plugs would be. If he lived in FL or WA it would be the same question.

If he lived in WI, then cold weather means something different than if he lived in Florida. If his glow plugs are not working in Florida, maybe it is not his glow plugs. I assume he is having trouble starting his tractor. Trouble at 0 degrees is a different problem than trouble at 40 degrees.
Bob

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #9  
Only because he measured voltage and not the amperage on the glow plug, does not mean that the glow plugs are good.
As for the glow timing... 10sec is o.k. but I wouldn't go longer than 15 sec. I did however preglow once for 10sec, wait 5 sec and glow again for 10 sec with no trouble.

My 2 cents canadian... only 1 1/2 cent american ;)

DM

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #10  
kossetx said:

I don't know of a manufacture's manual stating a max time and probably for a reason. Your stating the "max time" should be the same, but not, a cold block would allow the glow plugs to run longer before they get to their so called hot point. A warm block they may not have to run as long, so the max time would be different for each area. Check with your dealer or look at the wiring diagram but I am sure glow plugs have a safety on them that automatically resest if they get too hot. I have not checked my manual but was told by my dealer that my TC29D has the safety. I too questioned when it got colder about the length of run time and told not to worry. However, I will need a couple of cycles in colder weather.

The light the original poster is talking about was told to me by my dealer that is more for a minimum time. Even if you tractor is warm you should run the plugs.

murph