Max. Time for Glow Plugs, Update

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs, Update #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
I posted a question a few weeks back for max. time for glow plugs for my TZ25DA. Several people took time to respond to my question and I would like to thank you for your help. Turns out it wasn't a glow plug issue to start with. I decided to check the battery voltage again as I had checked it before when the colder weather started. My Vector charger showed a voltage of 12.6 volts before starting, I assumed that was good enough. Wrong!. This time I checked the voltage after using the glow plugs for about 15 seconds. The voltage drops to 11.4 volts after the glow plug load, not enough juice to spin the engine fast enough when the temperature is below freezing.
My tractor sets for maybe 2 weeks at a time without being started and only ran for maybe 30 minutes then. My solution was to go to Walmart and buy a Schumacher 1.5 amp Battery Companion float charger for about $18.00. End of troubles! I leave charger plugged in 24/7. This charger is designed to charge battery to 14.4 volts and then goes into float mode to maintain 13.2 volts.
Now I can crank the tractor with temps. in the teens with only 5-10 seconds of glow plugs and engine only spins about 1-2 rev. before starting. If someone is having cold weather starting problems, it maybe worth your time to check out your battery thoroughly.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs, Update #2  
Thank you I at times have problems mabey i need to check it out :)

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs, Update #3  
If your battery drops voltage that fast; time to have it load tested; probably time for a new battery.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs, Update #5  
Rick B; I thought of that also; but if you remove cables to clean, might as well remove hold down bracket and check battery, clean area for corrosion, etc. I would also make sure ground connection at frame is clean also, which is overlooked occasionally.