NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted #1  

TwinWillows

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Well it's soon going to be time for my 200 hour service on our TC40. I'm interested in any tips on this process that any of you might have because this will be my first time doing this (my dealer did the first service as part of the purchase package).

I'd be interested in any advice you'd have on recommended filters, hyd oil & engine oil also.

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted #2  
TwinWillows said:
Well it's soon going to be time for my 200 hour service on our TC40...

...I'd be interested in any advice you'd have on recommended filters, hyd oil & engine oil also.

Do you mean 300 hr service? The hydraulic oil and filter do not get changed at 200 hours.:confused:

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted
Jim,

I have not changed the hydro oil or filter since new so I was going to do it all at the same time..

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted #4  
TwinWillows said:
Jim,

I have not changed the hydro oil or filter since new so I was going to do it all at the same time..

Are you saying that you did not have the 50 hr service done or do it yourself? Normally, the HST filter only is changed at 50 hours and then there is no service on the system until a total of 300 hours. That's what the service schedule says.

If you want to do it sooner, there's certainly nothing wrong with that, especially if your hydro oil looks dark. In my case, the hydro oil looked very good even out to 300 hours when I changed it.

I know that engine oil gets changed every 100 hr, and greasing of course, but I don't think there are too many scheduled maintenance items at 200 hours. I'll have to check my schedule. I'm at my job and don't have a handy reference other than my ageing brain.:eek:

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted #5  
At 200 hours, I would change the engine oil & filter and fuel filter. Change the hydrostatic and hydraulic filters if they haven't been changed, leave them and the hydraulic oil alone until 300 hours if the filters have been changed once. Check and top off the hydraulic oil, front axle oil, power steering oil and antifreeze. Check the air filter replace the outer filter if needed, do the inner if it is at all dirty or discolored in ANY way. Remove the battery cables and clean the posts and clamps until the contact surfaces are bright. I would only use OEM filters. High quality oils meeting the specifications listed in your owner's manual or New Holland 134 hydraulic oil and New Holland 15w-40 engine oil. Grease all fittings.

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted #6  
Rick and Jinman are like walking service manuals.. they hit ALL the important parts.

The only thing I can add is take the time to also inspect hoses and any exposed wireing, and or har lines for damage. None of those should be worn at this time. but every now and then you find a hose rudding on metal and creasing.. or metal worn thin from abrasion or damage from a stick or something.. same with fan belt.

Never hurts to check the lugnuts, and since she is 'new' put your hands on any exposed bolt you see to check for tightness.

I havn't heard of any loose bolt issues lately.. but a while back there were some 2120 owners that found loose tranny bolts..

good luck

Soundguy

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted #7  
I took my time, got OEM filters and fluids. I also did one item at a time, then ran for a day, then did another item. Gave me time to enjoy my work! I never felt rushed. Engine oil and filter day one. Fuel filter day 2, tranny oil and filters day 3 and so on. I figured the money I saved (cost to have shop do service) and cost to move the tractor to the dealer and pick it up (1 1/2 dollars a mile, both ways) paid for the parts. It was also fun to do. Draining 12 gallons of tranny fluid is something I had never done before.
Bob

/ NH TC40DA - 200 hour service tips wanted
Thanks for the tips. I like Doc's in spreading things out instead of jambing it all together. Like him, I've never dealt with draining so much volume of fluid before much less transferring it.

I'm thinking about getting some kind of hand pump to assist with the movement from pails to the machine.