Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #11  
The attached Pics may help in identifying the Tilt Steering Parts question. The parts listing is for the TC29D/TC33D, but I know this is the same as the DX33.

Attachments

• Tilt Steering Parts Drawing TC33D.jpg
    Tilt Steering Parts Drawing TC33D.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Tilt Steering Parts List TC33D.jpg
    Tilt Steering Parts List TC33D.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 617
   / Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #12  
Your pics opened but were unreadable to me.

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #13  
BTDT said:
Your pics opened but were unreadable to me.

Click on the image and it should inlarge it if you are using IE. They are good images. Nice and BIG and easy to read.

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #14  
dqdave1 said:
My unit had a few "forced" bolts from assembly; all were on the firwall area. I epoxied the embedded nuts in the plastic and chased the threads to loosen them up and the bolts go in easily and can be removed easily. Better than no bolt at all.

Dave, I found some pictures of my captive nut repair. These were on the side consoles by the operator's platform. When I removed them, it was obvious that the assembly was pretty sloppy.

My telescoping function does not work either. I had to disassemble my tilt mechanism once and then I used white marine grease to keep it lubricated. I also fabricated a little plastic flap to cover the pin so it will be mostly out of the weather. I agree that most of these kinds of problems could be fixed with a little engineering and they would make a tremendous improvement in the tractor.

Attachments

• Busted Post.jpg
    Busted Post.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Cracked Post.jpg
    Cracked Post.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 289
  • Cross Thread.jpg
    Cross Thread.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 314
  • Repaired Post.jpg
    Repaired Post.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 375
   / Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #15  
Isn't there a boot or cover on the new models? If so, would it fit our older TCs?

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #16  
djradz said:
Isn't there a boot or cover on the new models? If so, would it fit our older TCs?

The number I have is 86401203. I was going to buy one, but my jury-rigged one has provided all the shelter needed.:eek:

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #17  
Cbox...I know your tractor is a Case but it is the same as a NH TC33D. Visit this link https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php . It is an online parts lookup for the complete tractor. Its the same thing our parts counter guys use on their PC's at the counter. If that link doesnt work, get there buy clicking agricultural parts direct from our website parts page at Construction, Agriculture and Consumer Equipment: Niagara Frontier Equipment Sales, Inc. . Once at the NH parts site, just type in TC33D for the model number, then steering and suspension, then column and tilt etc...then you can zoom in and out on the exploded view diagrams and you'll see exactly what you are missing. You can even request a quote and order online what you need! Pretty sweet and most of our customers are using this now. Just another reason NH makes it easier to do business with them. Hope this helps. More importantly, save the link for use later on when you might need something else for your tractor. :)

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #18  
About 2 years ago mine wouldn't work and no amount of TLC worked. I found a replacement shock assembly on ebay for about $50 and it works great. I'll try to dig up the exact cost and from who, etc.

It looked slightly different, but works great. I covered the top area with black duct tape to try to keep any more water out of the area...

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would give you a little update. I stopped at my Case dealer last week and spoke to my parts guys. He was able to look up the schematic of the steering column and “explode” the image to find my missing bolt. He was also able to tell me that it is an 8M x 12 metric and an 8.8grade (I believe). It is also a set screw style with an allen-head to fit in the recessed hole in the collar plate that holds the top of the tilt strut.

Anyhow, he recommended a trip to our local HWI hardware because this is obviously not something they carry in stock. The closest thing I was able to find was an 8M x 20 so I brought it home and thought if it was too long I would cut it off and grind it down. After a test run, I found that not only was it too long, but the head was also too big to fit in the recess hole. I then called my parts guy back and he ordered me one. He ordered it on their normal stock order (NO sense in paying $10++ for overnight shipping on a $.75 bolt) and I should have it next week. Anyhow, the tilt steering is still working for now, it is just a little sloppy.

Also, I wanted to say THANKS for all of the posts and pictures about the “captive nut” repair. I took some time last weekend and used the two-part epoxy you all mentioned. I got the shrouds put back together and SO-FAR-SO-GOOD. :)

FYI: I also got some great seat time yesterday. We received about 12 inches of snow and a lot of wind over the past few days. The tractor got a good workout yesterday clearing all of the white stuff. Thankfully, it was clam, sunny and a balmy 15 degrees. :)

Thanks again for the help!
CBox

/ Tilt Steering Lever Missing Something #20  
Same thing with my tc33d, Took off the housing, backed out the top hex screws. Removed and broke the little plastic cover that protects the whole operating end of the shock. Had to unscrew the lever mechanism from the threaded end of the shock (dont lose the spring and the white nylon washer) I used liquid wrench and pushed the plunger rod into the shaft after rotating the rod a few turns with some pliers. After reassembly and repairing the plastic cover with gorilla tape it works better than new.