TC45 clutch slipping

/ TC45 clutch slipping #1  

Philfarmer

Just a follow up of Jan. 8 thread. They replaced damper disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing. They suggested in as nice away as they could to use the clutch as little as possible. It went out after doing a lot of bucket work and in hind sight I know I probably had my foot on the clutch too much. I have never had a clutch go out on any of my old tractors but I never used them loading. Now I am so self conscience I was afraid to put the clutch in when loading on my trailer. They did tell me to put a block on the clutch when not using the tractor very often because the compact tractors do accumilate moisture from condensation inside the clutch housing. Thanks again for the replys.

/ TC45 clutch slipping #2  
Philfarmer said:
Just a follow up of Jan. 8 thread. They replaced damper disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing. They suggested in as nice away as they could to use the clutch as little as possible.

Glad it worked out okay.
Bob

/ TC45 clutch slipping #3  
Thanks for the update. The shop sounds like they did the best thing and replaced all the components so you would essentially have a completely new clutch.

I don't know what to say about the clutch failing while using the loader a lot. I know mikim (Mike) also has gear TC45 and I have never heard him complain about the clutch. I think I'd be a little paranoid too about using it, but there are thousands of gear tractors out there with loaders that don't have rapidly failing clutches. I think your clutch may have been faulty to begin with.

/ TC45 clutch slipping #4  
Just for a reference point, how old is your tractor and what did it cost to replace the clutch?

/ TC45 clutch slipping #5  
I haven't had any problem with my clutch using the loader or any other time ... course when using it a lot ...my knee tends to require a break quite often - so right there is a built in safety feature that makes sure I don't overheat it.

/ TC45 clutch slipping
I am not sure of labor cost for replacing clutch and cleaning flywheel only because I also had full service done. Changed all the filters, fluid in front axles and hubs, had to replace radiator drain cock that was leaking and grease and oil change and replaced with new hydraulic fluid since it had to be drained anyway. The total labor cost was $1054.50. Thrust bearing was 31.05, pilot bearing $8.40, damper $210.84 and clutch $478.30. They estimated about $1450.00 to replace clutch before they started and I think it was pretty close. I bought the tractor new in 2002.

/ TC45 clutch slipping #7  
Just remember.. the clutch is not a speed adjsuting tool.. it's an engine engage/disengage tool.. Too many people use the clutch in place o fthe break/throttle/gear selector.

( not saying you did this..)

Soundguy

/ TC45 clutch slipping
I really think my problem was when I started using my tractor last fall doing work with loader that I probably should have had done with a dozer. I talked with the mechanic if I would have been better off with a hydrostatic but he said you have to sacrifice some power. I think my main problem was not paying close enough attention on how much I was using clutch when clearing and loading and to have enough patience to use low range gears.

/ TC45 clutch slipping #9  
Great that is a 2002. Mine is a 2006 with 60 hours. Clutch is dead. Tractor would not move an inch. It is now the third weekend that it is inoperable. I have been promised to have it back by this weekend. I will believe that when it happens.
Had bought a motocycle in 1986 and clutch died in one month. Of course the service manager immediately said it was my fault because I did not know how to ride. After I explain I had over 15 years of ownership and riding experience - "it was a defective clutch"

I hope New Holland comes through with the service. They are not doing real great right now!!!