K&N Air Filter Minder

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #1  

rjoseph

Tractor
NH TC34DA w/SS
I have installed a K&N Air Filter Minder(#85-2444) on my TC34DA, this will monitor the air filter for restrictions and indicate when the filter should be serviced.
I found a 1/8" pipe plug in the air piping elbow just be for the intake manifold. It was e-z to install and read...Just though the group should know...Bob

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #2  
I have a tc33d should I try one

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #3  
That seems like a great idea. Here is some information from their website K&N Filter Minder It looks just like what is on my Ford F-250 diesel.

The Filter Minder® is an air filter service indicator that monitors air filter restriction and indicates when the air filter should be serviced. As the air filter gets dirty, the yellow position indicator moves in the clear window of the service indicator and locks at the highest point. It can be read even after the engine is turned off. The air filter should not be cleaned until the yellow position indicator reaches the red zone. Reset the position of the indicator to zero by pushing the yellow reset at the end of the service indicator.
85-2444.jpg

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #4  
Hmm, looks like the same filter minders that have been coming factory on all medium/heavy trucks for years. In my opinion they don't work to good. I have seen filters that looked horrible that didn't register anything on the gauge.

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #5  
My 3/4 ton came with one. Add my comments to Diesel power's.

I've never seen it move.

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #6  
From what I have seen the air filter has to be almost pluged solid before those guages move. Someone should do a test and see how much vacuum it takes to make the guage go in the red.

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #7  
Good idea with gauge but I dont think its necessary. Unless you are in a high dust environment or high pollen etc, I would recommend following your service manual as to when you should change or check the filter. Its easy enough to get to on the TC and would be a quick check item when checking the oil and fluid levels. Dont rely on a plastic gizmo to protect your $20,000+ invesment!

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #8  
Checking the air filter is a good idea at oil change time. I rented a pto landscape rake and used it for approximately 12 hours. That machine beat the soil to powder creating alot of dust. When I checked the filter and washed the machine it wasn't plugged but very dirty. I blew it out with an air hose.
Both my John Deere's came with filter minders. I never saw either indicator move. Looked impressive but not real functional in my estimation. Our new Malibu came with a dash computer to indicate percentage of clean oil before a change. I still change every 3,000 miles. I don't like changing motors.

/ K&N Air Filter Minder #9  
Joe, I know a lot of poeple do it but, blowing out an air filter is a bad thing. A paper filter will tear when high pressure is applied. Somtimes you can see the tears somtimes not. If you think your filter needs to be blown out it is time to replace it.