TC engine "racing"

/ TC engine "racing" #1  

Tractorsearching

TC engine \"racing\"

Hello knowledgeable people,
I have a TC40 thats engine seems to want to race/pulse when I bring the idle down.
Here is the situation.
I read in the Specs that idle is 1050rpm's.
If I bring my throttle back from 2400rpms to anywhere from 1000rpms to 1500rpms. The engine wants to pulse at around a 50-75rpm swing. Like 950rpms to 1025rpms back in forth at the rate of your pulse. This doesn't cease and stabilize.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Thanks

/ TC engine "racing" #2  
Re: TC engine \"racing\"

The RPM's should not pulse like that. My TC40D has never done that. Hopefully someone here in the TBN "brain-trust" will know what is wrong. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

/ TC engine "racing" #3  

Sounds like a problem with the governor. Could be out of adjustment or broken. Not familiar with the governor on your tractor. Just looked at my tc 35 and it appears to be in the housing right in front of the injector pump. (Should be where your throttle cable goes to engine) Older ones were centrifugal but not sure how the new ones work.

/ TC engine "racing" #4  
Re: TC engine

My tractor does that when I first start it with the throttle at idle, but it rapidly stabilizes to a steady 1,000 rpm. Have you had your 50 hr check yet? That sounds like the kind of thing that would be fixed/adjusted then. I agree that the problem sounds like the governor. It's probably too sensitive. It's not normal and your dealer should be able to fix it.

/ TC engine "racing" #5  

When I got my TC40D I thought that it idled too fast (even though it was about 1100 rpm) since my old 1720 idled at something in the 800-900 rpm range, so I lowered the adjustment to about 900. At that point, when the engine was cold, it did exactly what you described. Seemed like the governer or fuel pump just wasn't able to keep the idle steady at that lowered speed. Shortly after that I raised the idle back to around 1000-1100 and now there is only a very, very slight varying of the idle speed when cold. If I tap it up to 1100, there's no varying. Also, once the engine is warm, it seems it can idle a little lower and still not vary. It may be your idle setting is just a little too low. If your idle is anything less than 1100, adjust the accelerator up to 1100 and see it that takes care of it. If so, just adjust the idle screw on top of the fuel pump so the idle goes no lower than 1100. Otherwise, sounds like another problem for the dealer. Good Luck. ...Duane