engine oil leaking from drian plug

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
Hello, I took my tc35d in for it's 50hrs a few weeks ago and just noticed that a little drip is coming from the rear engine oil drain plug. I torqued it another 1/4 turn and it slow the drip considerably, but not completly.
Is there a gasket that perhaps got forgotten for the drian plug? I haven't lost but maybe 1/4 quart in 3 weeks, so it's not a major leak, but I don't want that oil on my floor either.

thanks
gary

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #2  
Not sure about the TC35, but every vehicle I own has a washer on the drain plug, either copper/brass, nylon, or some composite. From what I have been told, they seal any mismatch between the plug and the pan. I also use a little high temp silicon gasket goop on my drain plugs. I wouldn't consider a 1/4 quart in 3 weeks a small leak, any leaking from a drain plug should not be acceptable.

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #3  
Sounds like the plug may have been overtorqued, which can distort the aluminum (or copper or brass) seal.

Concur with halsey...call your dealer about this...it's unacceptable.

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #4  
Call your dealer and if they give you a hard time, tell them your gonna bring it back and let it drip on their floor./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

...seriously. Your plug should not drip and you shouldn't have to do anymore than snug it to make it dry. I think something is wrong.

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #5  
Gary,

From the sounds of it... somebody overtorqued the drain plug and possibly stripped the threads.... /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Request the dealer inspect it and replace it on-site ...

{Keep an even keel, don't burn any bridges, mistakes do happen...}

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #6  
<font color=blue>{Keep an even keel, don't burn any bridges, mistakes do happen...}</font color=blue>

The guy who manages our company cars had to take the CEOs car in for new tires and thought while he had the car (the car is on the road a lot), he'd get the oil changed. New kid at the garage did not inspect the place where the filter spun on. Yup, some of the gasket was stuck there. Our CEO got about a mile from our offices before all the oil had been pumped out. Fortunately, he was near a place he could safely pull off the road before the engine siezed.

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #7  
OUCH,MikePA, I wonder what that kid is doing NOW??? He's probably a DOCTOR!!!!! dass

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #8  
Gary, the NH drain plug has a metal washer with a tiny rubber insert on the inside edge which is supposed to really make the seal. My guess is, like the others say - overtorqued or else possibly the rubber seal is nicked or torn. If you can't get the dealer out, and don't mind draining the oil, take a close look at this rubber insert.

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #9  
Actually when I drained my oil the first time the little rubber/metal washers stayed attached to the pan (I didn't know that they existed). When I heard something "plop" in the oil I became curious to see what dropped out. It was the washer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone dropped or lost one of the washers.

Personally, I'd drain the oil into some container, remove the offending plug and SEE if the washer is there. It's fast, it's easy and you'll know real quick.

Peter

/ engine oil leaking from drian plug #10  
Losing the seal is a possibility...however, if you go to a fast lube place, you'll see them using air tools on almost everything. Never had a problem with 'em removing fasteners, but tightening with an impact wrench is not value-added IMHO.
I'm suggesting it's a distinct possibility that the mechanic airgunned the drain plug on. In doing so, he or she overtorqued and distorted the seal.
I had a Porsche 911 for many years. Everything had to be torqued! I got in the habit of using a torque wrench then...still do.