Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910

/ Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910 #1  

okgat

Good day,

Would someone please explain how I can add new hydraulics to my tractor so that I can use my New Holland 2910 with an old 3 pt backhoe attachment.

Presently, I have 3 hydraulic valves that control my 3 pt hitch, but I need two new connections (larger connections) installed so that I can plug in the old ARPS 3 pt. hitch.

Thank you,
Rick.:confused:

Attachments

• tractor2.JPG
    tractor2.JPG
    611.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    671.5 KB · Views: 186
   / Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910 #2  
I see only 2 spools being used for the 3pt, one for the top link and one for the tilt link. That should leave you with one spool remaining.

If you want to use that spool for a backhoe then you will have to use a bungee cord (or something similar) to hold open the third spool's lever. You will then need to figure out what size and type of connectors you will need. I don't see where the third spool's work ports go to so you will have to see what connections are available and get adaptors to match your backhoe hoses. Discount Hydraulic Hose will have everything you will need.

A few more pictures of where the third spool's connectors go would be helpful.

/ Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910 #3  
Your third spool operates your three-point lift doesn't' it?

/ Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910 #4  
Jerry, I see the 3pt position control lever in the first picture.

/ Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910 #5  
Some of the MF and Fords that had auxiliary hydraulic were plumb so that one of the spools operated the lift , instead of the normal lift handle. That may be the way his is. It depends on the way the spool is made that replaces the hydraulic block-off plate. It is actually the design of the passages in valve instead of the plumbing. I shouldn't have used the word "plumb".

/ Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910 #6  
You have three remote valves. I have the same aftermarket valve stack on my 4000. You are currently ony using two; the third can be used to power the backhoe. Larger couplers are not necessary; 1/2" couplers will handle the flow from your 2910. Additionally I hope the backhoe does not use the tilt cylinder you presently have in place of the toplink. This is a safety concern, the hoe should be rigidly mounted to the toplink bracket on your tractor. Be sure to place the draft control fully in 'position' for backhoe use. This is also a huge safety issue. if you have any questions or concerns about safe attachment or operation of a backhoe attachment, post photos with the questions.

/ Adding New Hydraulics for NH 2910
I would like to thank all of you for your help, but please don't go away, I have a few more questions.

First thing, the valves on my 2910 control the following if I have my gannon attached:

1) Raising and lowering the lift arms (if that's their proper name?)
2) Side sway tilt for my gannon, where you can raise one side higher than the other. (Photo does not reflect attached gannon)
3) Lastly, the cylinder tilts the gannon forward and backward.

Okay, as far as connecting my backhoe, here is what I think I have learned:

I can use the freed up valve with a bungie cord and have one valve remain open so that I have fluid flowing to the backhoe.

I also understand I can use the same size connections that I currently have on my tractor to hook up the backhoe.

1)The backhoe comes with a larger connection, so my next step would be to replace the larger male connectors (and hoses) on the backhoe with the same size connectors (and hoses?) that I have on the tractor, correct?

2) This is a very old backhoe attachment, should I replace the hydraulic lines?

3) The cylinder on my tractor will be removed so that I can rigidly install the backhoe. This is an old backhoe that I just purchased and I expect to have things to repair or replace. Any other safety issues that I should be concerned with?

4) As soon as I have the opportunity, should I build (or buy) a rigid sub-frame for my tractor or in your opinion is my tractor "beefy" enough to handle the stress? Where I live, we have heavy clay soil. When its wet, you sink up to your a**, when its dry, it as hard as concrete.

5) RickB, What does putting the draft control fully "in position" mean? Yeah, I know, novice!

Note: The backhoe is an Arps model 728.

Thank you again for all of your input.

Rick;)

Last edited: