DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm not as dense as I may seem, since I made it through college and medical school, although hydraulics was an elective that I missed. If I understand correctly, a diverter valve changes the flow from another function like curl/dump to the grapple, but keeps control of the grapple by moving the FEL stick same as the C/D function. A 3rd function rocker switch does not divert from another circuit, but is independent. How easy is it to control a grapple with a rocker switch?? Seems like control by stick would be finer.

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #2  
You are correct in your description on how the basic setups work.

Assuming the diverter and the 3rd function valve are both electronic, you need to press a switch to active either of them.

For the diverter the switch can either be momentary on/off or fixed on/off. The switch must be in the on position to allow the loader valve to work the grapple.

For the third function valve you have a 3 position rocker switch that has off in the middle and on in the forward and reverse positions. Forward on is lower grapple and reverse on is raise grapple. This acts like the lever on your typical spool valve.

Location of either switch is based on personal preferences but is usually on the joystick, especially for the momentary on/off diverter switch.

I have my 3rd function rocker switch on the joystick so I can move both the grapple and loader simultaneously with just my right hand and fingers.

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE
That seems like the most convenient and efficient location for the switch. Since my tractor gets delivered in 2 weeks and grapple control will be on rear remote, I'll see how ergonomic that is. I guess if I wanted to control from an add-on rocker switch, it would have to be the diverter type, since I don't have a separate circuit for 3rd fxn valve??

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #4  
A 3rd function valve is physically another valve, usually a solenoid valve, that is connected in series with the loader valve and the rear remote valve. It is usually plumbed between the two.

You could easily add either a 3rd function valve or a diverter off of the curl/dump work ports. It's all a matter of how much you are willing to spend and how you are planning to use the grapple and the rest of your equipment together.

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #5  
Which brings us back to the R.W.Long product. They offer both a switch or the 3rd function. Of course the 3rd function is more money.

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #6  
Slippy said:
Which brings us back to the R.W.Long product. They offer both a switch or the 3rd function. Of course the 3rd function is more money.
Correction. They offer a switched diverter and a switched 3rd function valve. The switches are different (monentary rocker vs 3 position rocker) but the joystick ball mount is the same.

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #7  
Sorry, but I don't know how to post links so you can just click on them, but below is the link where the two are explained. The first one describes the rocker switch. "One position to open the bucket, the second position to close the bucket and the spring return home position for no action. This valve kit is a true third operation, therefore you will be able to raise/lower, dump/curl, and open/close your bucket all at the same time."

Next they describe the selector valve kit. "The selector valve kit includes a rubberized handle with a red push button switch. When the red push button is depressed the hydraulic fluid is diverted from the up and down motion of the loader to the open and close motion of the 4-N-1 bucket." In the picture they show was looks to me like a button on the top of the joy stick.

MadReferee, are you saying they have a third switch? Maybe I don't understand how the selector valve kit works. At any rate, thanks for the further clarification.

Valve Kits

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #8  
Opps, I was wrong about being wrong. I guess I do know how to put the link in.

/ DIVERTER vs 3RD FUNCTION VALVE #9  
I never bothered to look at their website (shame on me) and was going on what Nelson Long had told me. I guess I just misunderstood him.