TC55DA hour meter finally done right.

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right. #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
My TC33DA has an hour meter that goes by clock hours. Regular time. If you idle for 100 hours it will show 100 even though hardly any wear and tear. The TC55D has an hour meter that shows an hour at 1830 RPM's which is a good average rpm and would more accurately show when oil change is due. My old International 2544's meter shows an hour at 540 pto RPM so 100 hours on that is much more than anything else. I wish there was a standard. i stated this before years ago. Should be a standard way to show an hour. I really think the TC55D has it right with a good average rpm. I dont like clock time unless im charging someone by the hour meter:)

Mike

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right. #2  
Roto said:
.... The TC55D has an hour meter that shows an hour at 1830 RPM's which is a good average rpm and would more accurately show when oil change is due. ....

Mike

Well whadda you know. I had missed that fact. Very interesting.

I think that Mike should get the Gold Star today for doing such a studious review of the manual :)

Despite reading numerous posts in which many very savvy TBN'ers have recommended a thorough review of ones operating manual prior to use, I must admit to having skimmed over some of the sections.

~paul

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right.
Thanks Paul, another thing some people may not realize is that the TC55 with R4's comes from factory with narrowest setting on rear tires. 71.59 inches outside to outside and there is 7 settings up to 95 inches outside to outside. One quick and easy setting is to switch the rear tires from one side to the other keeping the tread pattern the same and you will gain 4 inches of width with not too much hassle. It also puts your valve stems to the inside of the tire which protects them more. Thats what i plan on doing with mine just for added stability.

Mike

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right. #4  
I prefer the hour meters that are clock hours. It tells me how many hours I've been working plus most of my time on the tractor are with the engine above 2,000 rpm (loader work or brush hogging), so a meter based on 1,830 rpm would under estimate.

There is a lot of hours that accumulate to and from the work site or field and at idle i bet you would be surprised how low it actually is. Like driving somewhere in a car 180 miles at 60mph most of the time on the highway you would think 3 hours but always takes longer due to slowing on and off ramps toll booths or whatever so its hard to average over 2000rpms all the time on a tractor too. Its possible but hard i would think. While its idling putting implements on and off it really throws the average down. I think 1830 is about right but your right about the clock time to see how long your in a field or something. Comes in handy.

mike

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right. #6  
My TC24D also calculates it based upon 18XX RPM. I thought it was 1800, but it may have been the 1830. I wish that were a little higher - closer to 2000 or so. With my little NH, it spends very little time below 2000 - even when just puttering around the yard it is right at 2000.

Jim, what year is your TC24D? My 2003 TC33D goes by clock hours no rpm.

Mike

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right. #8  
It is a 2003. I was surprised when I read that it went by the RPM in the manual because I remember a lot other people saying their's went by clock time.

Thats weird. I will have to take another look at my manual for the tc33d. I was sure it went by clock time.

Mike

/ TC55DA hour meter finally done right. #10  
According to the manual for my TC29DA the proof meter records actual run time regardless of RPM's. Jay