Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength?

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
I was just wondering if anyone has a 6 foot bucket for NH without a bolt on edge and if its holding up alright. I have a bolt on edge on my TC33D but dont like it really. Cant back drag as good in gravel. The other side of the edge catches rocks and doesnt do as good a job. I chose not to have a bolt on edge on my TC55D but am a little concerned if it will hold up. Im not worried about wear as much as bending. Any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks
Mike

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #2  
When backdragging tilt the bucket down so only the leading edge of the cutting edge is making contact.

The steel in the bucket will wear easily and as stated the cutting edge does lend stability.:D

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #3  
I agree with Egon. Jay

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #4  
Mine is not bolt on. I have a lot of concrete that I snow plow for. It is holding up fine now for 4 years. I think I will get another 4 years out of it. When I do back drag I do tip it like Egon said to do to protect it.

murph

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #5  
I would think you'd only bend it if you are putting a lifting load only in the center, like hooking a chain the the center of the cutting edge. They will wear, however, even when used only as intended.

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #6  
I have a six foot bucket on a TN with out any bolt on edge. I lift from the center of that bucket all the time and have never hurt it. The heaviest item I lifted with the loader bucket was a large DI box that weighed around one ton. It was more then the Bobcat 331 mini excavator could handle so the TN moved it into place. After 6 or 7 years now the bucket is still straight and is not wearing much and it gets used a lot.I do not remember ordering any special bucket when I bought my TN so I think it is just the standard 72" bucket available for the TN. I would think it is the same or similar bucket the TC 55 has.

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #7  
I have a 35D with a 16LA loader, and have done just about everything you could imagine with a bucket, and after 5 years, it is still in great condition.

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength?
That TN bucket is bigger and heavier then the TC55. I know about tilting the bucket on backdragging. I have spread and backdragged 100 loads of gravel here on my property to lazer level specs on our horse riding arena. The less you tilt the better it levels and with that cutting edge on there you have to tilt quite a bit. By tilting just a little it used that back of the bucket to pre-knock down and humps and piles before the edge flatens them but as you tilt it more it just uses the blade and will not do as good a job. My other tractor has no bolt on edge and it does way better job then with one. hard to explain but there is an amount of tilt that works the best and i just cant get that with the bolt on edge. im glad to here some have held up pretty good. i plan on trying it without as i can always add one onto it later.

Mike

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength?
EGON, do you have a bigger picture of that hay pile picture you use under your name? I love that picture and would like a big version of it if you have one.

Mike

/ Bolt on cutting edge needed for strength? #10  
Yes I do Roto. Send me a reminder in about a weeks time as I'm away from home and in western Canada right now.:D

Probably best sent as an email??