TC33D Rear PTO Shifter

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #1  

GAFAQ_33

Tractor
New Holland TC33D
I have been having some problems when trying to engage my rear PTO.
It seems like the shifting lever just doesn't want or can't move the far enough to complete the PTO gear engagement
I have removed the shifting linkage from the gear box. The linkage moves through it's complete range of motion without binding or resistance. I have adjusted the linkage a couple of times. Each time after adjustment the shifting seems to work for a few shifts and then seems to just quit moving the gear box shifting lever far enough. It almost seems like the shifting lever on the fender ( top portion) is flexing or bending. I have looked at the linkage and it doesn't appear to be bent or slipping.
To prove that the rear PTO will engage, I can very easily shift into PTO mode using a pair of vice grips on the shaft out of the gear box.

I would like to know if anyone else with this or similar make and model New Holland has had or is presently having this type of shifting problem on their rear PTO.

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #2  
My TC29D is kind of like that. But I only have trouble when I don't use it for a long time. But my lever on the fender won't go all the way either so I am thinking our problems are different. Once I get mine to go in then it seems to work fine. I have tried greasing all the zirks that effect it but it does not help.

murph

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #3  
My TC33D was doing the same thing. Thought it was going to be a pain to fix. I just sprayed everything that moved below the PTO lever with WD-40 and worked the lever back and forth. Now it is working smooth.

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter
THE WD-40 sounds good. Going to be using the the rear PTO a bunch today. Will lube it up before starting,
Thanks for both replies..

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #5  
This is an old subject, but I have had the same problem with my rear PTO lever bending for 4 years. I just endured until today. I was at the New Holland dealer and purchased a new spring for the ball detent which is down on the side of the case in close proximity to the mid PTO engagement. The new spring was a little smaller in diameter and not so strong and it completely solved my problem. I had even taken my rear lever off and reinforced it and I still managed to bend it again. The lever was well lubricated and that wasn't my problem.

I hope this helps anybody that has the same problem as I had.

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #6  
I have a similar problem on my TC33D. Occasionally, I can't get the rear PTO level to move far enough forward to engage the PTO... it just stops about half or two thirds of the way forward. I find if I let up on the clutch, then push the clutch back in, the lever will usually slide forward very easily. This may be a different problem than what you are having, however, I could see where I could easily bend the lever if I just tried to force it in when it didn't "want" to go. The lever is not very stout.

John Mc

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #7  
Wow GAFAQ, you described EXACTLY the problem that I have been having since I bought my TC29D brand new. It drives me nuts! Let me know if you find a good solution. I am going to look into the one that was posted about the smaller spring. Maybe that is the answer! I tried everything... disconnected the linkage, everything worked fine. It is just poor design.

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #8  
The New Holland part number for the spring I purchased and intalled is 398210280. It cost $1.26 if I recall correctly.

The New Holland parts illustration that shows the spring I am talking about is below. It is part number 9 in the illustration and it shows where it is located. When you remove the plug with the spring behind it, no hydraulic fluid will come out.

Attachments

• 001NHNA-209229.JPG
    001NHNA-209229.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,599
Last edited:
   / TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #9  
You're not alone on this problem. Same thing here too. I just let the clutch out until the gears mesh. I think its a problem with the grears not mating good, and all so, the steel could be harder in the shift handle and prevent it from bending.

/ TC33D Rear PTO Shifter #10  
Last summer, after experiencing this same problem on my TC33DA, dropped by the local NH dealer and spoke to the service manager, who recommended lubricating the linkage with a spray type grease. Engaging my PTO had become so difficult, that I was convinced I had an internal problem.
I went ahead and sprayed some lithium stuff, with teflon in it, that I had in the cabinet, and got a pleasant surprise when engaging the PTO became smooth as silk! Last week I noticed that it was getting a little stiff, I guess it's time for another shot of the slick stuff.

Awhile back, when greasing, while laying under the tractor, I entertained the idea of disassembling the linkage, and putting zerk fittings, but I guess that would be overkill.