Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause?

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #1  

KEG

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40DA, JD B, IH Loboy
Tractor is running at idle, I start to roll the bucket and it dies. Won't start, all lights come on, no fuses blown, can't find a safety switch not working. But, I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it is low (very low - won't even show on the stick:eek:).

Is there a sensor that won't let the tractor run if the hydraulic fluid is low?:confused:

I'll be putting in more fluid next time I get out to my farm, but I sure would like to know if this is the problem, or if I should continue to look for something else. Otherwise, it's been a great tractor and I'm going through withdrawals not being able to run it (you know what I mean:D)

KEG

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #2  
"Won't start" - Does it turn over? If it turns over and doesn't start I would suggest that it is a fuel delivery problem or bad fuel (i.e. water in the fuel filter.)

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #3  
Need more info.

WAG here. but you have a bad QD which is deadheading pump, and forcing oil from your pump into your crankcase.

You say hyd oil is very low? Is some other sump really really overfull now? Chinese tractors seem real fond of doing this.. perhaps the japanese variety are now taking to it ( wink ).

If so. Bingo!

Post back.

soundguy

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause?
Sorry about the lack of details.

By "won't start" I mean it won't crank over. All regular dash lights come on and glow plugs cycle, but no cranking will occur. It acts like a safety switch is not engaged. Funny part is that I can hear clicking sounds coming from the dash at irregular intervals like something is sending a signal to a switch (same sound as the glow plugs make when they click on and off).

I suspected the low hyd. fluid was due to losses from hose leaks and equipment removals and reattachments. Engine oil level is fine. Only got ~80 hours on the tractor.

I hope this helps spur some ideas, cause I sure don't want to have to winch it up on a trailer to take back to the dealer. :(

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #5  
The first thing i would try to check the battery water level then charge it for a while .Check your battery terminal's make shure there clean.If it is making a clicking sound that might be it.

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #6  
Re-check fuse #2 on the fuse block behind the instrument panel (especially if the PTO light remains on.)

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #7  
KEG said:
Sorry about the lack of details.

. Only got ~80 hours on the tractor.
:(

Call dealer' service manager. He may be able to tell you what to do or since it's so new come out and take a look at it. Does this have a PTO lever or switch. On my 2120 with same symptoms I need to giggle PTO lever sometimes to get safety switch in correct position.

Andy

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause?
New Info. DocHeb suggested checking fuse #2 again (as he noted, the PTO light remains on). Since fuse #2 is a circuit breaker (not a regular 8 amp spade fuse), I tried a replacement fuse. Put in a regular 5 amp fuse and it blew, so I put in a 20 amp fuse and it, too, blew right away (as soon as I turned on the key).

My first question is - if the circuit is still good shouldn't a regular fuse work in place of a circuit breaker? If yes, then the circuit must have a dead short.

I've been studying the wiring diagram and can't find an obvious solution. I'll call the dealer on Monday, but if there are any further ideas, I sure would appreciate it.

KEG

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #9  
Charge the battery. If its low that can cause fuse to blow (or breaker to trip). Circuit breaker or fuse does not matter. You said it blew a 20 amp fuse, you might have a short (wire grounded) in that circuit. Greg

/ Another TC40DA Won't Start Problem - Will Low Hyd. Be Cause? #10  
If you blew a 20 amp fuse in the operator safety circuit, I think something is loose and shorting directly to ground. I'd start looking under the seat at that switch first and then look up under the left side of the operator's platform for loose wires (parking brake, transmission neutral sensor on the side of the transmission, and the PTO safety switch). You also have to consider that a rodent may have found it's way up under your cowling and has made a mess of things.

I don't think your loader's operation had anything to do with your problem. I'd bet it was just coincidence.

AndyMA made a good suggestion. If you don't feel confident troubleshooting this, a call to your dealer's service manager might get you some good suggestions.

Oh yes...there is no low-level sensor in the transmission. I lost 7 of the 10 gallons due to a leak and my tractor ran just fine.