Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks?

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #1  

OneMan

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3032E
Ok, I'm retired and thought I would be playing with the Grandkids until my son bought 10 acres of property and a new John Deere 3032E. Now we all go to the property and play with the tractor and camp out.
Problem is, we are a bunch of dumb a--. Had to get a trailer also and tie downs and fuel cans and all the other accessories that no salesman mentions when you're buying a new tractor.
Now after spending 6 hrs trying to up and down small hills with the tractor and bushhog, we (I mean my son) wants to plant grass seed. I think we need a different piece of machinery to work on the ground prior to puting down seen.
Should we use a disk plow or a landscape rake to prepare the ground? We can't do the whole 10 acres because we haven't cleared it all yet but probably around 4.

Oh most important thing to mention is we HAVE NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET HERE !!!!! This means not only am I an idiot with this thing but i probably will be asleep before I get a reply and know it. High speed here is a 2 lb. coffee can with a 1/2 " hose attached.

Last edited:
   / Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #2  
sounds like the Murphy, Robbinsville, Franklin greater metro area to me. Just a guess though. That area seems to be about 12 years behind everyone else. At any rate, Welcome

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks?
Yep that's where we live but the property is in TN. Good guess unless you know something about the area that I haven't learned in 20 years.

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #4  
Welcome!

Old Dogs like sleeping in warm dry places after a good meal!:D

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #5  
Welcome! As far as the grass goes you might want to scratch the ground up some. Type of grass seed, soil condition, weeds, moisture all have a play in it. You might want to get a soil sample sent off to see what you're dealing with there. OR if the seed didn't cost you too much just go out and broadcast it and see what happens!:D Good luck!

Jay

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #6  
Some of what you want to do depends on the type of grass you want to plant. We are coming into a good time of year for fescue and are getting late for Bermuda. If you want something temporary as you continue clearing annual rye will give you a cover crop for the winter. Most southern land needs lime to balance the PH for better growth. As mentioned a soil test and the county extension agent are a great place to start. I do think you will need to do more than mow to get things ready. Either a tiller or disk will break up the ground and help prep for seeding. After the soil is loosened a home made drag will help smooth things out and cover seed after broadcasting.

Welcome to the forum.

MarkV

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #7  
Welcome to TBN.
Long as your having fun and learning at the sametime it will only get better. :)

Sooo there good chance you won't be sharing pics w/us? ;)

/ Can an Old Dog learn New Tricks? #8  
Welcome to TBN!..................:D:D

Hope you enjoy it here.