The Tractor Safety Guy from Vermont

/ The Tractor Safety Guy from Vermont #1  

MattMyers

Hey folks,
My name is Matt Myers. I work at UVM Extension in Morrisville, Vermont. I was recently hired as the "Tractor Safety Guy" here. Because tractor overturns are the leading cause of death for farmers nationwide, I am launching a campaign here in Vermont that will offer rebates to farmers who want to retrofit their older tractors with ROPS (Roll Bar and Seat belt) because ROPS are 99% effective in protecting farmers from death or serious injury in an overturn.
I am raising money now to provide the rebate to farmers for ROPS Kits. I am also interested in hearing from anyone who knows a Vermonter who has rolled over on a tractor -or family members. I am collecting these stories because they make the risks that farmers face every day real.
Let me know if you want to help with the campaign in anyway. This is definitely about saving the lives and well being of farmers!
Thanks,
Matt

/ The Tractor Safety Guy from Vermont #2  
Hi Matt,

I work in the southern half of the state (VT). Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you would like me to put a blurb in the Spreading Times newsletter about what you are doing.

Jennifer Alexander

/ The Tractor Safety Guy from Vermont #3  
Welcome Matt. sounds like a good cause.

/ The Tractor Safety Guy from Vermont #4  
Hey folks,
My name is Matt Myers. I work at UVM Extension in Morrisville, Vermont. I was recently hired as the "Tractor Safety Guy" here. Because tractor overturns are the leading cause of death for farmers nationwide...

Is that really true? I would have guessed that heart disease, cancer, etc. would be the leading cause of death for farmers, just like everyone else. And if you want to talk work-related accidental death, I would have guessed that the PTO was more likely to cause problems than rollovers.

Anyway, we don't need to worry about rollovers here, it's not like there are lots of hills in VT... :)

Sounds like a good campaign, I'd be curious to know how many folks take you up on the deal. How is it funded?

jdurha: what's the Spreading Times newsletter? Is it available somewhere near Brattleboro?

/ The Tractor Safety Guy from Vermont #5  
Good luck with that!

But please don't ignore all the other ways to get seriously hurt on or around a tractor. PTO, post augers, hydraulics, operation on hills, FEL accidents, etc etc

A very recent death in my area involved logging activity with a farm tractor that overturned.

The farm emergency medicine folks might have some good material for you.

Personally, while I did not roll my last tractor when I was broadsided in the road outside my house, I credit the entire structure of the tractor for keeping me alive. It would have been much simpler if I had my seat belt on but that might be another program to fund.. :)

David from Cabot