Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson 135

Angry Hello from Ireland

My old 1968 Massey Ferguson 135 was a joint second-hand purchase between my dad and I many years ago. Alas, he not driven it for a long time now and will never drive it again due to age. He looked after the machine very well but I tend to just to the minimum needed to keep it going.

The tractor is only used for about a couple of months in the year to bring home the peat harvest. Bits have been falling off for a few years now and finally I had to concede that there was more of the cab missing that what was actually left. Reluctantly, I purchased a used Duncan cab which is in very good condition, at a cost of E700. With a lot of help, it has been stripped down, thoroughly cleaned and is in the process of being painted. It was then suggested that I should buy a bonnet so there is a new bonnet kit on the way. This bug is catching as I now want to replace the wiring and do a few other jobs.

The original charging setup had a dynamo but I changed it to an alternator some years ago. It worked at the start but has not been charging for a while now, possibly due to a slack fan belt. I now intend to buy a new loom and add lights etc. The alternator has two connections, field (F) and the output (B+). What type of loom should I buy, where and for how much?

Second question. The tractor has been sticking in gear an odd time, usually at inconvenient or remote places. The temporary ç´*ix is to take off the bung near the gear stick and fiddle around with the cogs until they fall into place. My son is better at this than I am but he is going abroad to college soon so I need to learn better ways. What could be the cause of it sticking in gear and what is the solution? On a previous Ford Dexta with a similar problem, it was just wear on the gear stick and it could be built up with a bit of welding.

More questions keep popping into my head. The diesel filter inside of the fuel tank became clogged a couple of times. No big deal except when it happens in the wrong place. Draining and taking off the tank is a lot of work just to clean a filter. I always use a fine sieve when pouring in the diesel. Any ideas about eliminating the problem?

I never imagined that there was a tractor userç—´ website but like I said, the bug is catching and I will be back here often. Hopefully the old girl will now get a bit of TLC to make up for years of neglect. There is a sense of satisfaction in seeing it coming together even at this early stage.

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Default Re: Hello from Ireland

Welcome to TBN. I spent 4 days in Ireland once and it was the best business trip I ever took. People were so nice and the grass was so green. I can't help you much, but I am sure others will.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson 135

Thanks Bob,

Hope you come back soon.

welcome to the site there is loads of info on here on every type of small tractors and farm equip. i used to have the same problem on the small zetors with the gearbox only the cerclip on the gearshaft used to break or slide off. actually now that i rem i had the same thing happen to me with a super ten speed gearbox on my old freightliner truck. only happened once so i did the same as you and allinged the gears manually. solved the problem. i guess when gearboxes get worn and sloppy this may happen on occasion. again welcome to the site from a fellow irish farmer now trucking in the usa.

Did you click on the wrong smiley ?

Hello ?

Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson 135

Hello Kilo,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the welcome. Keep on trucking as there will be dark skies in this part of the world for a few years to come.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Hello Iron Horse,

No, I did not click the wrong smiley. He was a bit down in the mouth looking but at least he was sporting his Ferguson Red. Maybe he has a long face because he was after spending a few quid on parts like I did over the last few days.