Hello from Ireland

/ Hello from Ireland #1  

stolaire

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 135
My old 1968 Massey Ferguson 135 was a joint second-hand purchase between my dad and I many years ago. Alas, he not driven it for a long time now and will never drive it again due to age. He looked after the machine very well but I tend to just to the minimum needed to keep it going.

The tractor is only used for about a couple of months in the year to bring home the peat harvest. Bits have been falling off for a few years now and finally I had to concede that there was more of the cab missing that what was actually left. Reluctantly, I purchased a used Duncan cab which is in very good condition, at a cost of E700. With a lot of help, it has been stripped down, thoroughly cleaned and is in the process of being painted. It was then suggested that I should buy a bonnet so there is a new bonnet kit on the way. This bug is catching as I now want to replace the wiring and do a few other jobs.

The original charging setup had a dynamo but I changed it to an alternator some years ago. It worked at the start but has not been charging for a while now, possibly due to a slack fan belt. I now intend to buy a new loom and add lights etc. The alternator has two connections, field (F) and the output (B+). What type of loom should I buy, where and for how much?

Second question. The tractor has been sticking in gear an odd time, usually at inconvenient or remote places. The temporary ç´*ix is to take off the bung near the gear stick and fiddle around with the cogs until they fall into place. My son is better at this than I am but he is going abroad to college soon so I need to learn better ways. What could be the cause of it sticking in gear and what is the solution? On a previous Ford Dexta with a similar problem, it was just wear on the gear stick and it could be built up with a bit of welding.

More questions keep popping into my head. The diesel filter inside of the fuel tank became clogged a couple of times. No big deal except when it happens in the wrong place. Draining and taking off the tank is a lot of work just to clean a filter. I always use a fine sieve when pouring in the diesel. Any ideas about eliminating the problem?

I never imagined that there was a tractor userç—´ website but like I said, the bug is catching and I will be back here often. Hopefully the old girl will now get a bit of TLC to make up for years of neglect. There is a sense of satisfaction in seeing it coming together even at this early stage.

/ Hello from Ireland #2  
Welcome to TBN. I spent 4 days in Ireland once and it was the best business trip I ever took. People were so nice and the grass was so green. I can't help you much, but I am sure others will.

/ Hello from Ireland
Thanks Bob,

Hope you come back soon.

/ Hello from Ireland #4  
welcome to the site there is loads of info on here on every type of small tractors and farm equip. i used to have the same problem on the small zetors with the gearbox only the cerclip on the gearshaft used to break or slide off. actually now that i rem i had the same thing happen to me with a super ten speed gearbox on my old freightliner truck. only happened once so i did the same as you and allinged the gears manually. solved the problem. i guess when gearboxes get worn and sloppy this may happen on occasion. again welcome to the site from a fellow irish farmer now trucking in the usa.

/ Hello from Ireland
Hello Kilo,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the welcome. Keep on trucking as there will be dark skies in this part of the world for a few years to come.
--------------------------------------------------------

Hello Iron Horse,

No, I did not click the wrong smiley. He was a bit down in the mouth looking but at least he was sporting his Ferguson Red. Maybe he has a long face because he was after spending a few quid on parts like I did over the last few days.
:laughing: