New land owner

/ New land owner #1  

house in the woods

Just bought a home in Delaware County NY. It sits on 40 hilly and rocky brush and tree covered acerage. I need to maintain the dirt roads on the property, plant a few trees and pull a few stumps. After reading this forum and a lot of research. I have decided to by a Kubota 3700 next week. (size and cost has kept me from sizing up any higher) I am still confused with the rotary cutter and I hope that you can help. The dealer suggested the Bush Hog sq160. I am concerned that it will bog down with the brush that I need to keep under control. I know I am limited by the 30 hp at the pto.
Any suggestions? Thanks for any and all advice.

/ New land owner #2  
Welcome, good choice on the orange.

I just recently purchased an used L3130, similar size to 3700 but less hp. We really like it. I don't have "brush" to mow, mostly grasses and weeds. I studied rotary mowers, flail mowers and rear mount finish mowers.

My rear wheels are right at 72" so wanted something 6'. Rotary doesn't cut as clean as I wanted, and seems to take more power than flail or finish. Flail would have worked, but my PTO hp did not really support 6', perhaps 48" o 60". The finish mower seemed to be a good compromise for my use.

I bought a Land Pride FDR1672, rear discharge, 72" and it does what I need. When I get in tall grass or come across piles of cut grass that the sickle left couple of months ago, I have to slow down and let it cut or it can bog down a bit.

Check the weight of the mower (compare to what is listed in manual for max), ask yourself what you expect the results to be and see what fits your budget.

The finish mower is my first mowing implement for this tractor, but not my last. I will get some sort of brush hog eventually for cleaning up some brush areas that are currently not being mowed.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

/ New land owner #3  
I bought my L3700SU last month and paired it with a 60" rotary cutter.

I think the dealers sell whever is local that has a good rep. Mine is a Mohawk Brave, from AG-Meier, is rated to cut brush up to 1.5", and has really worked as advertised. I even accidently took out a 2.5"+ tree hidden in an especially thick clump without a hiccup. I would not recommend doing that on a regular basis though, not great for the blades or cutter. The tractor kept constant RPM right through it however.

I have found the L3700SU to have plenty of power through thick brush and high, woody weeds. My land is pretty flat and it's few hills are short and not too high. I have rolled right over them without even noticing them.

I am still learning how to use a FEL, so I cannot tell you much on it's limits yet as I have not gotten anywhere near them.

/ New land owner
thanks for the reply. I think I am really going to like the 3700. I am purchasing the full loader package and the backhoe with the 16" bucket.
The dealer gave me a price aprox. 1000 less than the website and said if I waited for the fair he would discount it further. The cutter is the only thing I feel a little uneasy with.

/ New land owner #5  
30 pto hp should run a 6 ft cutter pretty good,don't know about your tractor weight or conditions,,could tell you that on a ck 30 kioti[which has less than 30 pto hp,,] A 5 ft one seems under,,,stated,,used,,etc...