Moldboard Plow

/ Moldboard Plow #1  

gwkyle

Tractor
John Deere 5603
I am looking for a three bottom moldboard plow for a three point hitch. I have 180 acres of hayland to break up, half of it hasn't been broke up for 30 years. Any suggestions on a plow that could do this job.

/ Moldboard Plow #2  
Hello gwkyle, welcome to TBN! Glad to see you posting. Hope you enjoy being a member of our community. :)

/ Moldboard Plow #3  
I am looking for a three bottom moldboard plow for a three point hitch. I have 180 acres of hayland to break up, half of it hasn't been broke up for 30 years. Any suggestions on a plow that could do this job.

Welcome to TBN.

If you have a big enough tractor to pull a 3-bottom plow, about any of them will work. Are you looking to buy new or used?? If used, keep an eye on craigslist, they seem to come up there pretty often, at least in my area.

/ Moldboard Plow #5  
Here is a nice 3 bottom Oliver trip beam plow with coulters for $695. No major breaks or welds and the plows are not sprung. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• Kenny's Pictures 797.JPG
    Kenny's Pictures 797.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Kenny's Pictures 798.JPG
    Kenny's Pictures 798.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Kenny's Pictures 799.JPG
    Kenny's Pictures 799.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Kenny's Pictures 800.JPG
    Kenny's Pictures 800.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 262
   / Moldboard Plow #6  
Welcome.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Remember the moldboards on a plow used for breaking sod are different than the ones used on cultivated land. :)

The normal ones do not turn the sod over properly and leave a pretty rough mess behind them. After discing the turned over 180 acres your back will not be happy.:)

Have you considered having it broke up with a chisel plough or heavy disc? It would require a much larger tractor than that to pull three bottoms.:)

/ Moldboard Plow #9  
The mold board on a breaking plow is longer and has a gentler sweep to it so it does not break the sod strip and let it fall back in the furrow.:D

/ Moldboard Plow #10  
180 acres with a 3 bottom moldboard.... Sounds like some sort of punishment to me. :D