Researching: trading back for tractor

/ Researching: trading back for tractor #1  

Glassback

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Hi all

Since I've had surgery for a couple of back discs I figure it's time to get serious about a real tractor vs my little Simplicity 12.5 LT with mower deck and 16 cu ft trailer. I love a good days work and hands on a shovel but the back says it's time. TBN is always in the google results and I've learned a ton by reading old posts.

The question is what tractor to get. What do I need for homsteading on a future larger property, chickens, a goat or pig or two, snow, big garden, wood lot. That's what I hope to learn here.

Thanks for all that I've learned so far and in the future!

/ Researching: trading back for tractor #2  
Hello Glassback, welcome to TBN! Glad to see you posting. Hope you enjoy being a member of our community. :)

/ Researching: trading back for tractor
Just read a real good thread here on putting a FEL on a 2wd tractor. Answered a lot of my questions. I hope to have 20+ acres. Maybe do some small business, tree farm, pasture one or two goats or beef, small market pork, chickens, eggs etc. Big enough garden to bring some greens to the farmer's market, who knows.

Definitely going used. Spend 10k or less. I've operated fire apparatus for over 15 years so I have some vehicle skills. Also operated a Kubota (L275?) for a couple days helping out at a farm and messed around on my buddy's '53 JD40. I'm good with w a wrench. Don't plan on using the FEL a ton so a 2 wheel may suit me fine. I'll take smaller loads or ballast the rear if I really need it. Want to stay away from the 4x for upfront cost and maintenance. Any lawn that needs mowing will be landscaped to work with the rear mount mower. No tiny corners, ground cover there. No idea how long the future drive will be. May be able to get all the snow removal done with the fel and a boxblade. Would like diesel. Wanna try doing a veggie conversion. Seems easier to do with older models.

After reading a bunch here's what I'm up to.

70's to 80's 2wd
Standard transmission
Cat 1 3 pt hitch PTO
Rearmount mower
Ag tires
Chains
FEL w/toothbar
Box blade for gravel driveway use for snow removal w/ FEL
Ballast/ weight box

/ Researching: trading back for tractor #5  
Don't plan on using the FEL a ton so a 2 wheel may suit me fine.

A lot of people say that until they use one, then it becomes their most-used implement.

Especially if you have back problems, something that will lift and carry for you is very valuable.

Don't plan on using the FEL a ton so a 2 wheel may suit me fine.

A lot of people say that until they use one, then it becomes their most-used implement.

Especially if you have back problems, something that will lift and carry for you is very valuable.

I like to keep things simple but the FEL is one of the implements I can see myself making good use of to save the back like you said. I'm sure my list of wants will change the more I learn. Man, there are a ton of attachments out there! I don't see myself doing a lot of heavy FEL work like moving crushed stone. If I was loading stone everyday I could see the 4x being a help in making work easier, quicker, safer over the 2 wheel drive, again depending on the situation. On those heavy days I may have to take smaller loads and / or ballast up. That thread on the FEL on a 2wd was really informative. It looks like it comes down to a mix of goals, preference, time and money. I feel like it will be a long time before I actually post a question. Just by reading past posts on TBN site has answered a lot of my questions. Lots more reading for me to do. I'll post if I don't find it but so far it's been covered!

/ Researching: trading back for tractor #7  
I like to keep things simple but the FEL is one of the implements I can see myself making good use of to save the back like you said. I'm sure my list of wants will change the more I learn. Man, there are a ton of attachments out there! I don't see myself doing a lot of heavy FEL work like moving crushed stone. If I was loading stone everyday I could see the 4x being a help in making work easier, quicker, safer over the 2 wheel drive, again depending on the situation. On those heavy days I may have to take smaller loads and / or ballast up. That thread on the FEL on a 2wd was really informative. It looks like it comes down to a mix of goals, preference, time and money. I feel like it will be a long time before I actually post a question. Just by reading past posts on TBN site has answered a lot of my questions. Lots more reading for me to do. I'll post if I don't find it but so far it's been covered!

You don't even have to be moving something really heavy to have the FEL be very, very, handy. I'm 65 and my back is not in the best of shape either. Just a couple of examples of how I use the FEL are: loading a generator into my truck, and even unloading 5 gallon cans of fuel from the truck bed, or the 7.5 gallon propane tanks.

It is just a whole lot easier to move something even a little bit heavy onto the lowered FEL and let the tractor lift it up, or put the FEL at the same level as the tailgate and slide stuff onto it.

/ Researching: trading back for tractor #8  
Get 4WD and a FEL. This is a no brainer. I think you'll find in a reputable brand (Kubota, JD, NH, etc) that the 4WD is completely reliable and it can make a HUGE difference in how well your tractor works, whether you have hills or not.

Also consider strongly getting a QA FEL and a set of pallet forks, or else bolt on pallet forks, although not as strong as the QA type. I find myself scrounging used pallets from stores, putting stuff on them, then picking said stuff up with pallet forks to move, lift etc. Much handier than when I had to use chain hooks on my FEL bucket to pick stuff up.

Beyond that, it depends on what you watn to do with it. A small tractor is more maneuverable, cheaper, and uses less fuel. A bigger tractor can do bigger work. Finding the right balance is tough--you might try renting different size/makes of tractors and doing some project before you buy. Just to see what works best for you.

From the beginning I was sure the FEL was on the list of wants. Once I have one I can see myself using it like you're saying, Isaac.

Johnbro, here's the 2wd FEL discussion I read:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/182437-front-end-loader-2wd-tractor.html#post2079123

A lot of good points for both sides. I like 2x for a simpler machine for less maintenance and initial cost. I do a lot of my own mechanical work. I can see a 4x would be better for lots of reasons, especially in a smaller, lighter CUT or SCUT. I also think 2x locked can still get the job done if I opt for something a bit larger. Jury is still out for me on that.

I like the pallet fork idea. I can imagine they can help pick up 8-12' logs to cut for firewood too. And finding the balance you're talking about, I'll only know for sure once I get to using it. Like one of the TBN member's signature says,"Experience is something you get after you need it".:)

/ Researching: trading back for tractor #10  
Lifting anything with the FEL transfers weight from the rears to the fronts.

Tractors only have brakes on the rears.

If you have 4x4 the mechanical linkage transfers braking force to the fronts. If you don't it is entirely possible to experience a wild ride as you head off into the unknown with braking force only on your unloaded rear wheels.

Now if you are using the tractor for farming, you won't head downhill in this situation because farms are pretty flat.

If you are using a tractor as a jack of all trades, like many compact tractor people do, you need 4x.