lroop

Tractor
simplicity
best way to find a used tractor w/front loader for 5 acre farm w/horses,goats
Thanks!

/ used tractor for 5 acre horse farm #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ used tractor for 5 acre horse farm #3  
Depends on what you want but if you are looking for a low hour (under 700 or so) craigslist usually has a few on there also most dealers around my part of the country have lots of used tractors.Happy hunting take your time and find what will suit you best

/ used tractor for 5 acre horse farm #4  
best way to find a used tractor w/front loader for 5 acre farm w/horses,goats
Thanks!

I've bought three used tractors off craigslist so far with no problems doing the deals. Just check out the tractor thoroughly and bring cash or cashier's check. You can find used small tractors in the 15-25 hp range with FEL (Yanmar, Kubota, Iseki) that would handle most of the chores on a 5 acre horse farm (mowing, toting stuff in the FEL bucket, discing with 4-5 ft wide implements, etc).

/ used tractor for 5 acre horse farm #5  
Yes depends on what you want to do with it. I wanted a yanmar FX24D (4WD, FEL, 24 PTO HP).

When I go to the dealer (Ernie's in Molalla, Oregon) it was parked next to an FX28D..The 28 looked almost twice the tractor and was only $500 more.

So I bought the bigger machine. Glad I did because its just a bigger tool, shifts more dirt more easily.

Its also quite a bit more weight, wider and less likely to tip over carrying gravel etc. I can run a 5ft tiller in hard ground with this machine.

On the downside its about as big as I want for getting into tight spaces etc.

You can try the user groups (yahoo groups has a good Yanmar forum)..Then again I love Yanmars..:)

Frank

/ used tractor for 5 acre horse farm #7  
I suggest something in the 30 to 35 HP range.
I am ASSUMING that this is for maintenance, mowing, moving manure, hay, etc.
If you have a center aisle barn and want to drive through with a dump cart, measure your aisle width before tractor shopping.
There are CUTS (Compact Utility Tractors) and there are NCUTS (Narrow CUTS, some folk rearrange the acronym).

If the aisle is only 8ft wide you might not want to drive through, if 12 ft, perhaps.
Needless to say, turn ALL the horses out BEFORE bringing the tractor through for morning stall cleaning (-:
It sounds silly, but I do know barns where they leave boarders' horses in the stalls because someone is coming to ride at mid morning - when they show up at 10:30 the muck trailer and tractor are still in the aisle, more or less in the cross ties (-: